The Hershel "Woody" Williams Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Huntington, W. Va. is a fully accredited 80-bed acute medical and surgical care facility that provides primary care and specialty health services, including radiology, mental health services, women’s health care, prosthetics, general surgery, bariatric surgery, thoracic surgery, vascular surgery, pain management, palliative care, and more.
We are looking to add a General Surgeon to our excellent surgery team at our Huntington VA Medical Center. We are seeking a highly motivated BE/BC General Surgeon, with an unrestricted MD / DO medical license, who shares our commitment to providing excellent care to our US Veterans.
Based on the 2022 All Employee Survey (AES) of all U.S. VA’s, the Hershel "Woody" Williams VA Medical Center was ranked as
- Best place to work in the VA System
- Highest employee satisfaction scores in the VA System
- Most highly recommended VA organization in the VA System
Benefits for working at the Hershel "Woody" Williams VA Medical Center Campus:
- Excellent compensation – competitive base salary, based on qualifications, with biennial market pay raises & annual cost of living pay raises
- Sign-on Incentive available – An excellent sign-on incentive will be authorized for highly qualified applicants.
- Student Loan Forgiveness (EDRP) - Up to $200,000 in student loan forgiveness available – based on work commitment
- Excellent daily work schedule – Monday thru Friday – 8:00 am – 4:30 pm with limited call
- Generous time away from practice – 26 days of annual leave, 13 annual sick days and 11 paid federal holidays
- Call Coverage – Very reasonable and shared equitably (No Trauma Surgery)
- Annual CME allowance with 5 days for attending CME events
- Malpractice – Free liability protection with tail coverage provided
- Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) / 401K with up to 5% in VA matching contributions vested after 3 years
- Qualify for defined federal pension after 5 years of federal service
- Insurance – Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care available
The quality of life in Huntington, WV is high, and the cost of living is low. The area offers a four-season environment with lake and river recreation, as well as a rich array of arts and cultural experiences. Huntington is home to award-winning public schools, magnet centers and the national & internationally ranked and acclaimed Marshall University.
Shopping areas include the Huntington Mall, the largest mall in West Virginia and the downtown area that includes Pullman Square – a truly modern town square that hosts a variety of festivals and special events all year around.