Join the Providence Medical Group and Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka as a board-certified/board-eligible Gastroenterologist and be part of a talented, well-trained, compassionate team of providers located in Eureka, California. This is a great opportunity to join a growing GI group that currently offers ERCP. The hospital is a regional medical center that provides comprehensive cancer care, is designated as a Level III Trauma center, and is the sponsor of a Family Medicine residency program. You will collaborate with general surgeons who perform bowel resections, fundoplication, Whipple’s, and laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Come to the beautiful and welcoming coastal community of Eureka and be part of a strong, mission-driven organization providing patients with compassionate world-class care.
Location: Eureka, California
Practice: Providence Medical Group of Humboldt County
Setting: Providence St. Joseph Hospital EurekaPosition Role & Key Responsibilities
- The ideal candidate will have outstanding communication skills, be self-motivated and be willing to work closely with established support staff.
- Ideal candidates will be eager to support a compassionate and mission-oriented organization working to provide every patient with exceptional care.
- Opportunity to expand clinical trials in collaboration with Northern California sites.
- Collaborate with referring physicians and other healthcare professionals to provide coordinated care.
- Clinic hours are Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Flexible office and call schedule, including weekly administrative time.
- Teaching opportunities with the Family Medicine residents.
- Opportunities for professional growth, including continuing medical education and leadership development.
What We Offer
- Medical Doctor – MD, DO, MBBS, or Equivalent.
- Board Certified/Board-Eligible in Gastroenterology (GI).
- Valid California medical license or eligible for licensure in the state of California.
- Demonstrated commitment to clinical excellence and patient-centered care.
- ERCP experience preferred but not required.
- Endoscopic Ultrasound training is a plus with future consideration for developing a local EUS practice (currently building a regional program).
- New Graduates are encouraged to apply.
- A collegial and supportive environment within a growing and well-established GI team.
- State-of-the-art facilities and technology at Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka.
- Competitive salary package.
- Generous direct medical school loan repayment is available.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program eligible.
- Close relationships with tertiary referral centers (Stanford, UCSF and UC Davis).
- H1-B visa candidates accepted.
- A balanced professional lifestyle in the scenic and vibrant community of Eureka, CA.
From preventative screenings to advanced treatments, Providence’s gastroenterology specialists offer comprehensive digestive care close to home. As one of the most respected GI groups in Northern California, our highly skilled physicians offer the most advanced diagnostic and treatment options, with a patient-centered approach to care.Endoscopic Suite
Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka is a leader in endoscopic services. We diagnose and treat disorders of your digestive tract with minimally invasive procedures. The Gastroenterologists offer a full spectrum of GI care. Our rural community provides you with the luxury of working out of one hospital, which is within walking distance from our office. The hospital endoscopy suite offers state-of-the-art equipment and the ability to perform all endoscopic procedures, with the full support of a highly trained and dedicated endoscopy team.
Our experienced team offers both traditional endoscopies and cutting-edge procedures not available anywhere else on the North Coast. Services we offer include:
Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka
- Capsule endoscopy — A test in which you swallow a capsule that contains a camera. The camera takes thousands of pictures as it moves through your digestive tract and allows your doctor to scan your small intestine.
- Colonoscopy — A test used to screen for colorectal cancer and to look for areas of inflammation or bleeding. During this exam, we can also collect tissue samples and remove abnormal growths.
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) — A diagnostic test for conditions that affect your gallbladder, bile system, pancreas and liver.
- Esophageal manometry — A test that evaluates how well your esophagus works.
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy — We pass the endoscope down your esophagus to evaluate or treat an issue in your digestive tract. The camera allows your doctor to see your anatomy on a monitor in real-time. This procedure can be helpful for ulcers, inflammation, infections, tumors and bleeding.
Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka has been serving the healthcare needs of Humboldt County since 1920. St. Joseph Hospital is comprised of two campuses located within a quarter mile of each other in Eureka; the St. Joseph Hospital main campus is a full-service acute-care state-of-the-art facility.
Services include an emergency room, cardiac surgery in the Heart Institute and an accredited cancer program including the latest technology, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and a 64-slice CT scanner. We also provide women’s and children’s services in the Childbirth Center, including pediatric services and the only Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Nursery (NICU) on the North Coast.Providence Medical Group (PMG)
Providence Medical Group is a premiere multi-specialty group, located within minutes of St. Joseph Hospital in Eureka, California. PMG provides high quality care for Humboldt County and surrounding communities. Our regional group has nearly 500 physicians/APCs and a tradition of excellence that extends from routine care to leading-edge surgical procedures. The Humboldt market has 20+ clinics and specialties. Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka has served the community for more than 100 years and along with Redwood Memorial Hospital in Fortuna is staffed by dedicated professionals who provide compassionate care to all.How to Apply
Providence Health Systems has retained the services of Academic Med to assist with this strategically important physician recruitment effort.EEO Statement
Providence is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate, exclude people, or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, or sexual orientation. Providence also provides free aids and services to people with disabilities to communicate effectively with us, as well as free language services to people whose primary language is not English.
At Providence, our strength begins with understanding. We take time to see, hear, and value everyone who walks through our doors—patient or caregiver, family support person or volunteer. Regardless of your role or goals, we’ll support you in your career, so you can bring your best to work every day and help our communities flourish for years to come.