Director, Center of Emphasis in Diabetes and Metabolism
The Department of Molecular and Translational Medicine in the Paul L. Foster School of Medicine at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso is accepting applications from highly qualified clinician-scientists or scientists for the position of Director, Center of Emphasis in Diabetes and Metabolism (CoE D&M). The Director will collaborate with senior leadership to implement a vision for the Center to enhance the quality, visibility and impact of its scientific, clinical and educational programs.
Researchers in the CoE D&M are committed to making new discoveries that will improve metabolic health in the U.S.-Mexico border region and beyond. The CoE D&M is building a new interdisciplinary team of scientists that spans the fields of biomedical, translational, clinical and population health research. An area of focus is quantifying the regional, societal and geographic factors that are driving the high rate of diabetes and associated conditions, such as obesity, metabolic syndrome and fatty liver disease. The CoE D&M is also conducting research on the pancreatic islets and beta cells that secrete insulin. Research by CoE D&M scientists is providing new insights into diabetic nerve damage and evaluating new therapies to prevent and treat such debilitating conditions.
Qualifications: The successful candidate will possess academic credentials for appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or full-Professor, including:
- M.D., Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D., or an equivalent degree in the field of biological sciences
- Experience in teaching medical students and/or graduate students
- Record of sustained research productivity in the field of diabetes, obesity, and /or related metabolic disorders
- Track record of sustained success in extramural grant funding
- Record of high-quality peer-reviewed publications
- Emerging or established national or international reputation
Institution: TTUHSC El Paso is the fourth independent university in the Texas Tech University System, and is comprised of the Foster School of Medicine, Hunt School of Nursing, Francis Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, and the new Hunt School of Dental Medicine.
Community: Residents enjoy high-desert climate living in a friendly and diverse community with no state income tax. El Paso is home to the Sun Bowl/Division I athletics, Franklin Mountains State Park (the largest U.S. urban park), museums, AAA baseball team, semi-pro soccer, Broadway series, a classic film festival, and symphony.
- Top 5 Safest Large U.S. Cities, AdvisorSmith, 2021. All-America City (innovation, inclusiveness, and civic engagement), National Civic League, Finalist 2022 Easy access to the El Paso International Airport Exceptional public and private schools
Applications: Interested candidates must apply online at https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25898&siteid=5625#home and enter 34790. For additional information, applicants please contact:
Rajkumar Lakshmanaswamy, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair, Department of Molecular and Translational Medicine
As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate I our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.