East Carolina University
Associate Dean Medical Education
Vacancy #: 600164
Recruitment Range: Commensurate with Qualifications
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Organizational Unit Overview
The Brody School of Medicine (BSOM) at East Carolina University is the fourth oldest medical school in North Carolina; it was chartered to increase the supply of primary care physicians serving the state, to improve the health and well-being of the region, and to train physicians who will meet the health care needs of the state.
Under the leadership of the Dean and Executive Dean, the BSOM grants both M.D. and Ph.D. degrees plus Master’s degrees in Public Health and Biomedical Sciences with a student body of ~ 470 students and 450 faculty members and research scientists.
The Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University seeks a collaborative and creative individual for the Associate Dean of Medical Education position. The successful candidate will articulate an innovative curricular vision that supports the mission of the Brody School of Medicine.
General Administration of the Office of Medical Education (40%):
- Provide leadership and active collaboration with the other offices in the BSOM Academic Affairs to meet the expectations of all relevant accreditation bodies – including SACS and the LCME.
- Contribute to the planning for all accreditation visits and all related data gathering and supportive documentation.
- Serve as the primary custodian for policies housed in the BSOM OME and ensure the timely revision and electronic posting of updates.
- Provide leadership and administrative support to testing and assessment processes as defined by current OME policies.
- Maintain awareness of emerging technologies and support their application to enhance Academic Affairs activities. This includes the learning management systems Elentra, Examsoft, Qualtrics and RedCap survey tools and website design.
- Lead efforts to adopt or modify a chosen technology or learning management system.
- Prepare and effectively manage the OME budgets and accounts, ensuring that financial expenditures meet all of the plans and reporting requirements of the University. Recruit, lead, motivate, and develop OME staff in a way that fosters engagement and high performance.
- To develop staff, create and communicate clear performance measures, accountability, and continuing education.
- Contribute to the planning and delivery of M1-M4 orientation programs.
Curriculum Oversight, Outcomes, Programmatic Development, and Strategy (40%):
- Create a vision for the OME and provides leadership for the OME in applying best practices to the design, delivery, and enhancement of the curriculum at BSOM.
- The Associate Dean for Medical Student Education is an ex officio member of the Foundational and Clinical Curriculum Committees and a voting member of the Executive Curriculum Committee.
- Provide leadership for the systemic review process for each component of the medical education curriculum as defined by current policies.
- Provide programmatic support for the educational pipeline efforts designed to enhance student understanding and preparation for the rigors of medical school.
- Promote the educational program at BSOM to the University and medical, and educational community through websites and attendance at regional and national events and meetings.
- Direct the medical courses housed in Academic Affairs and any others as required. This includes the M1 and M2 Foundations of Doctoring courses, the Clinical Foundations Seminar, the Advanced Clinical Foundations Seminar, the M3 Clinical Medicine Enrichment elective, and the M4 Clinical Medicine Enrichment elective.
- Provide curriculum support for interdepartmental courses. This includes the M1 and M2 Foundations of Doctoring and M2 Medicine courses.
- Collect, analyze, and communicate outcomes data concerning national benchmarks to course directors, department chairs, curriculum committees, and academic leaders.
- Support the faculty development of institutional learning objectives and competencies, map their application to individual courses, and document their attainment.
Other Duties (20%):
- Develop pedagogical research projects and resources and facilitate educational research at BSOM. Provide leadership, administrative support, and oversight for the BSOM Distinction Track Program. Complete additional responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
Position contingent upon availability of funds.
The position will have a primary appointment in an academic unit related to the selected candidates’ discipline and be reassigned to serve in BSOM Academic Affairs.
Anticipated hire date January 8, 2024
- M.D., Ph.D., or equivalent terminal degree Faculty member or administrator at an accredited school of medicine All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation
- Clinical discipline will require an NC Medical license and board eligible.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Experience preferred in medical education and curriculum as well as adult learning theory
- Demonstrated experience in curricular design, innovation, and implementation
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication skills as well as strong management, organizational, and planning skills
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse teams and learners
- Demonstrated experience in improving learner engagement and educational outcomes
- Demonstrated administrative experience, decision-making, and leadership responsibilities at the departmental level or higher
- Demonstrated experience in building effective teams and strategic planning
Special Instructions to Applicant
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
- Curriculum Vitae Letter of Interest List of Three References (noting contact information)
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
At the time of employment, two to three original letters of reference, official transcripts, a criminal background check, and proper documentation of identity and employability are required. Please be aware that if selected for an interview, an automatic e-mail will be sent to the individuals entered by the applicant in the References section of the PeopleAdmin applicant tracking system. Letters of reference submitted via the PeopleAdmin applicant tracking system will be verified and considered for meeting this requirement.
Additional Instructions to Applicant
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.
Applications will be considered until position is filled. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy # 600164 to ECU Human Resources at http://jobs.ecu.edu.
Eligibility for Employment
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. ECU participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
ECU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance. We encourage qualified applicants from women, minorities, veterans, individuals with a disability, and historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, color, genetic information, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Visit this job posting at https://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/63212