PEDIATRIC INTENSIVIST POSITION
As part of the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (MSU CHM) Flint, Mich., Campus, Hurley Children’s Hospital is seeking an energetic and dynamic individual to join its Pediatric Residency Training Program as a pediatric intensivist. The candidate(s) must be board-certified in pediatric critical care medicine or board-eligible (if currently a pediatric critical care trainee). This position involves teaching medical students and residents and participating as an active faculty member in the residency program.
Primary responsibilities include caring for both medical and surgical patients in the region's safety-net hospital, as well as carin for the most acute and complex medical ICU patients in the region. With a major north-south highway as well as a large geographical region in our catchment area, trauma cases are common. Ventilator management, inotropic support, and invasive monitoring also occur. Consults may be requested from the ED, general pediatrics, and burn unit.
- 443-bed hospital
- 42 Peds/PICU beds
- 44 NICU beds
- 14 Pediatric Psychiatry beds
- ~1350 pediatric admissions per year (excluding newborns)
- ~2600 newborns per year
- Child Life Services
- Flexible Schedule
- Research support
- General institutional support
- H1-B candidates accepted
Candidates must have strong interpersonal, teamwork, leadership, communication, empathy, and tech-savvy skills and a willingness to work with an urban population.
- Opportunity for research, QI, departmental committees
- Faculty appointment with Michigan State University College of Human Medicine at a rank commensurate with experience
- Rounding with interested and motivated resident physicians and medical students
- Award-winning technology - physician-friendly EMR system
- Collegial atmosphere: Small enough to form meaningful work relationships with learners and colleagues and large enough to provide interesting cases and opportunities to make a difference.
- Clinic location: Our children's clinic sits atop the Flint Farmers' Market, providing access to fresh produce, bakeries, restaurants, shopping, and pleasant walking paths. The nearby Flint Cultural Center is befitting for the one-time largest General Motors complex in the world. And two Big Ten schools have locations within walking distance of the clinic as well: Michigan State University College of Human Medicine-Flint and University of Michigan-Flint.
- Flint/Genesee County area: Quick access to hiking, camping, boardwalks, ziplines, swimming, skiing, boating, biking, golfing, sporting events, recreational sport teams, orchards, dairies, movies, theater, concerts, festivals, and stress-free travel, thanks to Flint's Bishop International Airport, one of the easiest airports to use in the Midwest.
- Education hub: The University of Michigan-Flint, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine-Flint, Michigan State University School of Public Health, Kettering University, and Mott Community College are clustered in the city.
- Wellness focus: Hurley offers free 24/7 fitness areas on the premises, lactation rooms, and other well-being amenities.
About Hurley Children's Hospital:
Hurley Children's Hospital at Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich., is affiliated with Michigan State University (and other top universities in the Midwest). The 443-bed tertiary-care public hospital serves as the primary training site for Hurley/MSU College of Human Medicine pediatric residents and Flint-based medical students and is the care-referral site for mid- and northeastern Michigan, with a catchment area of more than 1 million people. Hurley has been providing services to the greater Flint and Genesee County areas since 1908 and is recognized as the undisputed leader in caring for babies and children in the entire upper quadrant of Michigan's lower peninsula.
As a Children's Hopsital at Hurley Medical Center and a Children's Miracle Network Hospital, our employes work with highly regarded colleagues, hleping children who need the highest level of care. Only Hurley provides the region's highest level of care in:
- Level I Adult Trauma Center
- Level II Pediatric Trauma Center
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Center
Hurley has the region's only Burn Center, Hernia Center of Excellence, Children's Emergency Room, Pediatric ICU, Pediatric Hematology Oncology Program, Pediatric Sickle Cell Clinic, Emergency Room with Fast Track for Seniors, Geriatric Facture Center.
Interested or want more information?
Contact: Jim Buterakos, chief academic officer, Hurley Medical Center, 1 Hurley Plaza, Flint, MI 48503
Pediatric Residency Program website: https://education.hurleymc.com/gme/residencies-and-fellowships/pediatrics