Denver Health is recruiting a Gender Affirming Surgeon
for LGBTQ+ Health Services Department
Denver Health Medical Center is currently recruiting for a Gender Affirming Surgeon to join our team. This position is responsible for performing gender affirming surgeries and providing coordination and oversight of gender affirming surgeries provided to transgender and nonbinary patients at Denver Health. This includes medical oversight, patient care, multidisciplinary staffing, faculty development, clinical outreach, and enhancing Denver Health s visibility as an LGBTQ+ affirming organization.
The position is dedicated to 20% protected time and effort for administration and outreach. The remainder of the role is dedicated to either direct clinical care including surgeries or other funded work (research or other external funding). The position will report directly to the Director of Service for their department and work collaboratively with gender affirming surgeons from various departments Denver Health s Chief Medical Officer, and work in collaboration with LGBTQ+ Health Services Medical and Administrative Directors. The gender affirming surgeon will have an academic reporting relationship to the relevant University of Colorado School of Medicine Department Chair exclusively for academic roles and responsibilities.
LGBTQ Health Services
Denver Health s LGBTQ+ Health Services was launched in January 2017 as a decentralized model where LGBTQ+ patients receive affirming care throughout the organization. LGBTQ+ Health Services supports patients with navigation to primary care, behavioral health, and gender affirming surgeries.
Gender Affirming Surgeries Currently Performed at Denver Health
- Chest Reconstructions
- Breast Augmentations
- Tracheal Shaves
With the addition of another gender affirming surgeon, LGBTQ+ Health Services will increase volume of current procedures and in the coming years grow to include other gender affirming procedures not currently offered at Denver Health.
The best candidate for this position will be a surgeon with experience performing vaginoplasties and other gender affirming surgeries with a vision to grow the department in the following ways:
- Increase gender affirming surgeries and capacity at Denver Health
- Expand the research program within LGBTQ+ Health Services
- Implement a surgical fellowship
- Create a locally and nationally recognized model of care
Key Collaborators for LGBTQ+ Health Services
- Obstetrician/Gynecologists performing vaginoplasties, hysterectomies, and orchiectomies
- Urologists performing orchiectomies
- Plastic surgeons performing chest reconstruction, breast augmentation
- Otolaryngologist performing tracheal shave (thyroidchrondroplasty)
- Advanced Practice Providers
- Pelvic Health Physical Therapists
- Voice Therapists
- Integrated Behavioral Health Providers
- Perform vaginoplasties and other gender affirming surgeries, as appropriate to the primary specialty area.
- Expand access to high-quality services for transgender and nonbinary communities.
- The gender affirming surgeon will be involved in design and performance of research and quality improvement projects to steadily increase the volume and quality of care.
- Work with LGBTQ+ Health Services Medical Director to ensure transgender and nonbinary patients receive appropriate medical care.
- Serve as a clinical role model and leader who acts collaboratively and makes decisions based on sound ethics and what will bring the greatest benefit to LGBTQ+ Health Services and the overall institution
- Ensure the highest standard of care across Denver Health for transgender and nonbinary patients through the creation and implementation of evidence-based clinical care guidelines and policies surrounding the care of transgender and nonbinary individuals.
- Represent Denver Health s LGBTQ+ Health Services at local, state, and national conferences and professional organizations.
- Support surgeons performing gender affirming procedures and provide consultation on difficult cases as needed.
- Promote teamwork within LGBTQ+ Health Services and between/among other departments in all aspects of academic and clinical functions.
- Ensure compliance with the Bylaws of the Medical Staff of Denver Health, including appropriate documentation of patient care and chart completion.
- Follow Denver Health policies and procedures.
- Maintain license and certifications required for the duties of the job.
Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of and ability to apply professional medical principles, procedures, and techniques.
- Ability to effectively lead and direct clinical services while providing quality medical care.
- Experience and passion for providing outstanding care to LGBTQ+ and underserved communities.
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral communications, express or exchange ideas by verbal communications.
- Excellent written and verbal communications, listening, and social skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with people of varied educational, socioeconomic, and ethnic backgrounds, skill levels and value systems.
- Perform duties in a tactful and professional manner.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Computers and Technology
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is required.
- EPIC electronic medical record experience preferred.
- Doctorate Degree (required) Education and Experience
- Graduation from an Accredited Medical School and completed Accredited Residency Programs and fellowships for specialist, or equivalent. Equivalent training for those physicians who are not U.S. residency trained.
- Experience caring for transgender and nonbinary patients and or providing gender affirming surgeries preferred.
- Assistant Professor rank or higher.
- Leadership experience desired.
- Physician (required)
- Graduation from an Accredited Medical School and completed Accredited Residency Programs and fellowships for specialist, or equivalent.
- Basic Life Support (BLS/CPR) from American Heart Association (Required)
Interested physicians can apply online or submit CV/Cover Letter to:
Aaron Ortiz, Manager Provider Recruitment