The Department of Surgery at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine is seeking two (2) full-time academic acute care surgeons. Successful candidates should be Board Eligible/Board Certified in general surgery and have an interest in the clinical mission of acute care surgery, the education of our general surgery residents and the Department’s research mission. Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center is the academic hub of our five-hospital health system and has been the tertiary care hospital for Central Pennsylvania for 50 years.
Shift expectations are 16-18 per month for work involving inpatient care, outpatient follow up with a dedicated operating room for cases and advanced practice provider support. Evening calls are shared among other department faculty. Surgeons will have the opportunity to perform sequela surgery and elective operations for their consults as needed.
What we're offering
- Appointment at Assistant/Associate/Full Professor level, dependent on qualifications
- Opportunity to build an independent acute care surgery service and independent division over time
- Candidates with experience facilitating acute care surgery delivery on a systems level preferred
- Join a well-established department with multiple subspecialty divisions (colorectal, bariatric, foregut, thoracic, abdominal wall, surgical endoscopy, surgical oncology) available for collaboration as needed
- Penn State Health is rapidly expanding, with significant growth potential based on strong name-brand recognition in Central Pennsylvania
What we’re seeking
- M.D., D.O., or foreign equivalent
- BC/BE General Surgery
- A strong commitment to patient care, medical student and resident education and research/scholarly activity is necessary.
- Excellent public schools with many ranking in the top 100 in the state.
- Central PA offers vibrant urban areas surrounded by small town rural/suburban communities which affords exceptional cultural opportunities including the Harrisburg Symphony, museums, farmers markets, semi- professional and professional sports, and fine dining.
- For the outdoor enthusiast, we have ample opportunities for hiking - Appalachian Trail and many other trails, biking, fishing, boating/rowing - Susquehanna River, skiing, and hunting - surrounded by state game lands.
- Located within a short train ride or drive to New York City, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and Baltimore.
Penn State Health is fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is unapologetically expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.