Chair of Family and Community Medicine
- University of New Mexico School of Medicine- Office of Faculty Affairs and Career Development
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Closing date
- Apr 22, 2023
- Family Medicine
- Full Time
- Position Type
- Permanent, Chair/Chief/Medical Director
Chair of Family and Community Medicine
The University of New Mexico (UNM), School of Medicine is seeking a dynamic leader to serve as Chair of the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the UNM Health Sciences Center.
The Chair will provide strategic leadership and direction for all
aspects of the Department of Family and Community Medicine’s involvement in the University as well as in the state and region.
The Chair of Family and Community Medicine plays a major leadership role in all Health Sciences Center mission areas. It is expected that the successful candidate will have a record of trans-disciplinary leadership as further detailed below.
The Chair will lead the department on behalf of the Dean of the School of Medicine. The UNM Health Sciences Center strives for excellence across four key areas: patient care, education, research, and community engagement.
The faculty of the Department of Family and Community Medicine practice within the University of New Mexico Hospital system, which includes inpatient and outpatient clinics.
University of New Mexico Hospital is a tertiary and quaternary referral center that also serves as the safety-net hospital for the citizens of New Mexico. The University of New Mexico School of Medicine is celebrated for its innovations in medical education and has earned a reputation for prioritizing diversity in its student body and physician workforce.
The Department of Family and Community Medicine includes approximately 83 faculty including faculty for the Physician Assistant programs, and 65 staff, and a house staff program of 50 residents. The department also hosts a successful two-year Physician Assistant program with 48 students. The Department is recognized for innovation in
teaching and its social mission.
Faculty and residents practice clinically in seven outpatient clinics.
The Department’s research program is highly ranked nationally among Family Medicine Departments in NIH funding and the federal research revenue competitively places it in national ranking of departments of Family Medicine.
The UNM Health Sciences Center is located in the high desert community of Albuquerque, New Mexico. It is also part of the State’s flagship institution for higher education. Exposure to a wide variety of educational opportunities, outdoor activities, and diverse experiences makes Albuquerque a special place to call home. Abundant recreational opportunities exist within our diverse and culturally rich city. Albuquerque enjoys a temperate climate with 310 days of sunshine as well as four distinct seasons.
- The Chair of Family and Community Medicine must hold an MD, MD-PhD, DO, or equivalent medical degree and be Board Certified in Family and Community Medicine.
- The candidate must have demonstrated expertise appropriate for appointment as an Associate Professor or Professor in the University of New Mexico School of Medicine.
- The candidate must have at least five years of administrative and leadership experience in an academic institution, be eligible for licensure in New Mexico, and must be eligible to work in the United States.
Preferred Qualifications: The Chair must be a person of high integrity with a significant record of achievement in academic medicine.
- Demonstrated leadership in implementation of integrated approaches to underserved populations and community health.
- A proven leader in academic medicine with a national reputation.
- Demonstrated advocacy in community based/focused education, research, and patient care.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategies, formulate plans, and make decisions based on multi-level analyses.
- A strong record of skills in administration, including finance, strategic planning, policy and in managing politics.
- Exceptional communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to foster collaboration, teamwork, creativity, and innovation.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion of student, faculty, and staff success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
To nominate an outstanding candidate, please send the name and contact information of the nominee to:
UNM Chair of Family and Community Medicine
c/o April Rodriguez-Esparza
Telephone Number: (505) 272-8268
Fax Number: (505) 272-6581
Nominations must be received by March 22, 2023. If self-nominating, you need only apply and not submit a self-nomination.
For best consideration applications must be received by April 24, 2023, however, position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply:
A complete application consist of: (1) current curriculum vitae; (2) a
comprehensive letter of interest that addresses how the candidates’ strengths and experience match the minimum and preferred qualifications for the position, and what the candidate sees as challenges and opportunities of the Chair in the current academic environment, and; (3) names and contact information for five references.
A leadership statement is available for candidates to review which was developed by the faculty and provides department information to assist with the application.
For any questions related to this search or to obtain the leadership statement, please contact April Rodriguez-Esparza, AMRodriguez@salud.unm.edu
For complete details of this position and to apply, access Faculty Posting at: https://unm.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/18/home/requisition/23616?c=unm
For information regarding the confidentiality of inquiries and applications or general questions please call or email to the address listed above. UNM’s confidentiality policy (“Disclosure of information about Candidates for Employment, “UNM Board of Regents’ Policy Manual 6.7), which includes information about public disclosure of documents submitted by applicants, is located at http://www.unm.edu/~brpm/r67.htm
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert