Geriatric Medicine - Medical Director Opportunity
- Trinity Health
- Mobile, Alabama
- Closing date
- Mar 16, 2024
- Full Time
- Position Type
Mercy LIFE of Alabama has an excellent full-time employment opportunity for a Board Certified Internal Medicine or Geriatric Medicine physician to serve as Medical Director of the Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) organization located in Mobile, Alabama.
The PACE model is centered on the belief that it is better for the well-being of seniors with chronic care needs and their families to be served in the community whenever possible. PACE serves individuals who are age 55 or older, certified by their state to need nursing home care, able to live safely in the community at the time of enrollment and live in a PACE service area. While all PACE participants must be certified to need nursing home care to enroll in PACE, only about 7% of PACE participants nationally reside in a nursing home. If a PACE enrollee needs nursing home care, the PACE program pays for it and continues to coordinate the enrollee's care. We encourage fellowship and independence while serving seniors and their families with dignity and respect. Delivering all needed medical and supportive services, PACE is able to provide the entire continuum of care and services to seniors with chronic needs while maintaining their independence in their home for as long as possible.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Medical Director provides general medical direction and supervision of the medical aspects of participant care. The Medical Director is responsible for the delivery of participant care, clinical outcomes, and oversight of the Quality Assurance Performance Improvement (QAPI) program. They are responsible for the development and maintenance of medical policies and procedures/standards and protocols. They provide direction and supervision to related Primary Care Providers and APPs.
General responsibilities will include:
- Conduct history and physical on new participants and event-based and periodic reassessments. Develop medical treatment plan and provide medically necessary services in the range of locations in which participants may reside.
- Interview and evaluate applicants to PACE Organization and their caregivers and participate in the Intake and Assessment decision.
- Discuss each participant's medical conditions and prognosis with him/her and their caregiver to assist them in expressing their wishes and planning their future care.
- Execute assignments in a culture that is shared and collaborative across all divisions within TH PACE.
- Collaborate in the nursing treatment program of participants.
- Establish and/or maintain as a member of the leadership team a plan to achieve operating goals.
- Participate as an active member of PACE Organization interdisciplinary team. Educates and advises the team regarding the implications of diagnoses, cognitive and physical function and treatment options.
- Perform physical examinations, order and evaluate appropriate laboratory and diagnostic tests, and record results in a systematic manner.
- Participates in provider on-call rotation as required.
Requirements for this opportunity include:
- Current and active physician license to practice in the state of Alabama required.
- Board Certification in Internal Medicine required; Board Certification in Geriatrics preferred.
- Experience or added qualifications in Geriatrics preferred.
- CDS Certification and DEA Registration required.
- Previous supervisory experience required.
- Minimum of one (1) year of documented experience working with a frail or elderly population.
- Effective skills in physical assessment and chronic disease management for frail older adults.
- Desire to work in a creative alternate health care setting.
- Able to manage changing priorities according to participant needs.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right physician to lead the medical team at Mercy LIFE of Alabama.
Mercy LIFE provides a competitive compensation and benefit package that compliments this opportunity for personal growth and professional advancement.
ABOUT THE FACILITY
Called to the healing ministry of Jesus Christ and continuing the tradition of the Sisters of Mercy, Mercy LIFE of Alabama, a member of Trinity Health, is committed to providing excellent and innovative health services for the frail elders of our community, especially the poor and underserved. We strive to enable their autonomy and improve their quality of life, addressing the needs of the whole person within a culture of inclusion.
Mercy LIFE of Alabama is a PACE program (Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly). Mercy LIFE offers a full range of health care services for individuals who are eligible for nursing home care but want to live at home. PACE programs like Mercy LIFE believe it is better for the well-being of seniors with chronic care needs and their families to be served in the community whenever possible.
Mercy LIFE of Alabama is the sole provider of services and guarantees our Participants access to services, but not with any specific provider. All services are provided within our network of providers.
The Mercy LIFE of Alabama Health Center is where clinical and rehabilitative services are coordinated and participants visit, socialize and build meaningful relationships with doctors, nurses and other program participants. Transportation to and from the Center is coordinated for participants.
Mercy LIFE of Alabama is a member of Trinity Health, the second largest Catholic Health System in the nation. Trinity Health is based in Livonia, Michigan.
Mobile, Alabama is the county seat of Mobile County. Alabama's only saltwater port, Mobile is located on the Mobile River at the head of the Mobile Bay and the north-central Gulf Coast. The Port of Mobile has always played a key role in the economic health of the city, beginning with the settlement as an important trading center between the French colonists and Native Americans, down to its current role as the 12th-largest port in the United States.
Considered one of the Gulf Coast's cultural centers, Mobile has several art museums, a symphony orchestra, professional opera, professional ballet company, and a large concentration of historic architecture. Mobile is known for having the oldest organized Carnival or Mardi Gras celebrations in the United States. Its French Catholic colonial settlers celebrated this festival from the first decade of the 18th century. Beginning in 1830, Mobile was host to the first formally organized Carnival mystic society to celebrate with a parade in the United States.
ABOUT TRINITY HEALTH
Trinity Health is one of the largest multi-institutional Catholic health care delivery systems in the nation. We serve people and communities in 22 states from coast to coast with more than 90 hospitals and 100 continuing care facilities including home care, hospice, PACE and senior living facilities and programs that provide nearly two and a half million visits annually. Trinity Health employs more than 133,000 colleagues, including 7,800 employed physicians and clinicians.
Apply for Geriatric Medicine - Medical Director Opportunity
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert