Physician (Thoracic Surgeon)
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Salisbury, North Carolina
- Closing date
- Mar 16, 2024
- Surgery, Surgery, Thoracic
- Full Time
- Position Type
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
-The Thoracic surgeon participates in and/or manages all aspects of a general Thoracic surgery program to include clinical, administrative, and academic components
- Attend and participate in outpatient clinics and take an active role in the evaluation of the patient, decision for treatment/care, and complete timely documentation in the patient electronic records
- The Thoracic surgeon will perform surgery and provide preop and post-op care as indicated for major and minor procedures, as well as Thoracic surgery consultation for inpatients and outpatients
- The Thoracic surgeon participates in and/or manages a broad range of Thoracic surgery practice. This encompasses all areas of general Thoracic surgery including reconstructive services
- The Thoracic surgeon participates in a shared rotation of night and weekend on-call coverage
- Evaluate and treat Thoracic surgery emergencies in the emergency department, inpatient wards, ICU and operating room
- Maintain professional competency, courtesy and flexibility and provide the necessary services of this specialty
- Collaborative patient management along with the other departments and sections of the hospitals including, but not limited to, laboratory, medicine, radiology and the auxiliary services
- Attend meetings required by the Organization and Surgery Service in particular
- Participates in the teaching programs of the Academic Affiliate. Provide educational opportunities for students and residents in the training in medicine and surgery. Provide training and/or direction as applicable to supporting employees (e.g. RNs, LNs, technicians, administrative support staff) assigned to the unit during the performance of duties. Such direction and interaction will adhere to government and professional clinical standards and accepted clinical protocol
- The Thoracic surgeon is expected to maintain current knowledge and skills. She or he must be responsible for management of diagnostic, preventive, and/or therapeutic interventions, both surgical and nonsurgical throughout the full spectrum of Thoracic surgery. She or he is expected to maintain good diagnostic, judgmental, and therapeutic acumen
- All VA requirements must be met on a timely basis
VA offers a comprehensive total rewards package. VHA Physician Total Rewards.
Recruitment Incentive (Sign-on Bonus): May be eligible for highly qualified candidates
Education Debt Reduction Program (Student Loan Repayment): Learn more.
EDRP Authorized: Contact Brenda Katro at email@example.com, the EDRP Coordinator for questions/assistance
Pay: Competitive salary, annual performance bonus, regular salary increases
Paid Time Off: 50-55 days of paid time off per year (26 days of annual leave, 13 days of sick leave, 11 paid Federal holidays per year and possible 5 day paid absence for CME)
Retirement: Traditional federal pension (5 years vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA
Insurance: Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement)
Licensure: 1 full and unrestricted license from any US State or territory
CME: Possible $1,000 per year reimbursement (must be full-time with board certification)
Malpractice: Free liability protection with tail coverage provided
Contract: No Physician Employment Contract and no significant restriction on moonlighting
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- You may be required to serve a probationary period.
- Subject to background/security investigation.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination.
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP).
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) - See "Additional Information" below for details.
Please click here to view the full job description https://www.usajobs.gov/job/712203600
Apply for Physician (Thoracic Surgeon)
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert