Physician (Anesthesiology) 0602- GS-15
- Defense Health Agency (DHA)
- Ft. Belvoir, VA
- Closing date
- Mar 13, 2024
Physician (Anesthesiology) Fort Belvoir Community Hospital
Fort Belvoir Community Hospital is a Department of Defense medical facility located on Fort Belvoir, Virginia, outside of Washington D.C. In conjunction with Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Belvoir provides the Military Health System medical capabilities of the National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR MD), a joint unit providing comprehensive care to members of the United States Armed Forces located in the capital area, and their families. The facility is located on a U.S. Army installation but operates as one of the first joint service medical facilities in the U.S. military, staffed with uniformed medical personnel from the Army, Navy, and Air Force. The hospital is one of the largest medical facilities in Northern Virginia and provides all levels of inpatient and outpatient medical care. The facility maintains a 24-hour emergency department but, like most U.S. military hospitals, transfers patients in need of a trauma center to equipped civilian medical facilities. As part of federal emergency planning in the National Capitol Region, the hospital is also tasked with maintaining unique capabilities to support continuity of government operations in the event of crisis.
The $1.03 billion, 1.3 million-square-foot facility opened in August 2011, replacing Fort Belvoir's existing medical facility, DeWitt Army Community Hospital, and integrating significant portions of the former Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., in accordance with 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Act. In addition to its primary facility at Fort Belvoir, the hospital also operates the DiLorenzo TRICARE Health Clinic (DTHC) at the Pentagon and satellite health centers in Fairfax and Dumfries, Virginia.
Fort Belvoir is a United States Army base located on 8,656 acres along the Potomac River in Fairfax County, VA. It encompasses a population of 47,000 and is well-positioned a mere 12 miles south of Washington, DC. .
Fort Belvoir is home to the United States INSCOM and ARCYBER and elements of ten other Army major commands; nineteen different agencies and direct reporting units of the Department of Army; eight elements of the U.S. Army Reserve and the Army National Guard; and twenty-six Department of Defense agencies. Also located here are the 249th Engineer Battalion (Prime Power), the U.S. Army Prime Power School, a Marine Corps detachment, a U.S. Air Force activity, U.S. Army Audit Agency and an agency from the Department of the Treasury.
The Army Historical Foundation announced in March 2017, its intent to begin the construction of the National Museum of the United States Army at Fort Belvoir. The museum, set on 84 acres (34 ha), will tell the story of the army since 1775. The 185,000-square-foot (17,200 m2) museum will feature historical galleries, an "interactive Experiential Learning Center" and the Army Theater. There will also be outdoor venues including a Memorial Garden, Amphitheater, Parade Ground and Army Trail. It opened to the public on November 11th, 2020.
Working for the Department of Defense comes with an abundance of benefits and perks to include competitive compensation packages, paid-time off, medical benefits, student loan repayments, and retirement package with Thrift Savings Plan to include matching employer contributions.
Work under the supervision of the Chief, Anesthesia. The Chief, Anesthesia determines caseload, teaching assignments, administrative assignments and work schedule. The incumbent exercises independent judgment and skills commensurate with contemporary anesthetic practice. The quality of professional and administrative work will be evaluated utilizing quality assurance principles, policies, and regulations as mandated by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals and as structured by appropriate Army and local regulations and policies.
As a professional in the field of anesthesiology is assigned the full range of cases in the field. The physician is licensed to practice medicine as an Anesthesiologist and is credentialed by Brooke Army Medical Center to provide the services described.
1. Provides anesthesia services to all categories and types of patients requiring surgical or procedural intervention at Fort Belvoir Community Hospital . Provides anesthesia services for general surgery, gynecology, ear/nose/throat, neurosurgery, oral surgery, obstetrics, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pediatrics, plastic surgery, thoracic surgery, urology, vascular surgery, trauma and burn-trauma. Performs the most advanced diagnostic and treatment procedures without professional direction. Assignments involve the full range of cases and problems including the very difficult. Responsible for making treatment recommendations for the full treatment regimen involving knowledge of new techniques or the use of prolonged or complicated procedures or advanced and delicate skills. Participates in the handling of other catastrophic problems where the skills of an anesthesiologist are also applicable, e.g., drug overdoses, cardiac arrest, and respiratory problems. Supervises the administration of anesthesia by nurse anesthetist to include their performance; administers anesthesia to patients whose condition poses a particular anesthetic difficulty. Administers appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic nerve blocks in the treatment of acute and chronic pain. Oversees the activities of the recovery room and administers appropriate drug and respiratory therapy in the recovery room setting. Implements the proper use of mechanical ventilators in the recovery room, and as necessary in the intensive care units. Provides consultation regarding preoperative preparation, intro and postoperative anesthetic management. Incumbent is responsible for accurate completion of required forms, reports, and medical records. Reviews anesthetic records and charts of personnel supervised to assure proper professional quality control. Performs administrative tasks as delegated by the service chief.
2. Serves as adjunct faculty for Student Registered Nurse Anesthetists. Responsible for teaching and counseling of medical students rotating through the Anesthesiology Service in the proper administration of anesthesia. Teaches all aspects of anesthesia to medical students, residents, student nurse anesthetists, and other anesthesia staff as required. Participates in Continuing Medical Education.
3. Provides anesthesia consultation to the medical, surgical, and anesthesia staff as requested or required. Ensures the operating room's prompt and safe accomplishment of its mission. Efficiently and fairly schedules and allots operating room time to the surgical specialties. Helps direct and administrate the responsibilities of the FBCH Anesthesia Service. Coordinates the Operating Room Services with physicians, nurses and technicians. Maintain high level of quality assurance.. Helps function as ward officer for Surgical Recovery Room.
PERFORMS OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED.
US Citizenship required
Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicants graduation. [A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).
Candidates must have a permanent, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
AMERICA’S PREMIER MEDICAL TEAM, SAVING LIVES AND FOSTERING HEALTHY AND RESILIENT PEOPLE
- Promote, sustain, and enhance the health of our armed forces, veterans, and their families.
- Train, develop, and equip a medical force that supports full spectrum operations.
- Deliver leading-edge healthcare to our warriors and military families to optimize outcomes.
DO WHAT YOU REALLY WANT -
CARE FOR PATIENTS AND HAVE A LIFE OUTSIDE THE PRACTICE.
There are a lot of reasons you became a physician, but none of them included inﬂexible work schedules, burdensome administrative tasks, and dealing with insurance companies. By offering you exceptional employment beneﬁts as well as the opportunity to practice at locations across the U.S. and around the world, DHA delivers you the work-life balance you have always been missing.
WORK AND LIFE OPPORTUNITIES.
Practice your specialty and experience the unique career opportunities and beneﬁts that can be found at the DHA.
The civilian physicians of the Defense Health Agency meet the healthcare needs of active duty and retired military personnel, and their families, at treatment facilities across the U.S. and around the world.
- 250+ Locations Worldwide
- 5 Million+ Under Our Care
- Excellent Stafﬁng Ratios
- State-of-the-Art Facilities
- Patient-Focused Care
- Competitive Salary
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Flexible Schedules
- Recruitment Bonuses
- Job Security
- Supportive Work Environment
With job openings at more than 250 military medical facilities all across the U.S. and around the world, DHA offers you the chance to practice where you want.
THE DHA IS CURRENTLY HIRING:
- Family Medicine
- Obstetricians & Gynecologists
- Allergists & Immunologists
- Occupational Medicine
- Physical Medicine
- Preventive Medicine Physicians
- Internal Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
YOUR CAREER SEARCH STARTS HERE.
“As a civilian serving in the DHA, I get what I was missing most in my old practice. I was tired of the punishing work schedule and dealing with insurance and all the stress it brings. Now, I still practice alongside great physicians in a state-of-the-art facility, but in an environment that allows me to have a life outside the practice.
Best of all, even though I'm a civilian, I receive excellent federal beneﬁts.”
Dr. Frank R
Evans Army Community Hospital
Fort Carson, CO.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert