- Defense Health Agency (DHA)
- Tacoma, WA
- Closing date
- Mar 13, 2024
Physician (Anesthesiology) Tacoma , Washington
Located in the beautiful Pacific Northwest on the Puget Sound, in Washington State, Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) is near the city of Lakewood, 10 minutes from Tacoma and 20 minutes from Olympia, the state capitol. JBLM is situated in a key location along Interstate 5, allowing easy access to Sea-Tac Airport and to the deep-water ports of Tacoma and Seattle. Although the Army and Air Force missions have changed over the years, one thing has not changed-the natural setting of the base. Majestic Mount Rainier looms on the horizon, towering over the other peaks of the Cascade Range. From the mountains to the deep waters of Puget Sound and the Pacific Ocean, the local areas abound in natural beauty and outdoor recreation opportunities. Camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, boating and now sports are a way of life in Washington State.
Working for the Department of Defense comes with an abundance of benefits and perks to include competitive compensation packages, paid-time off, medical benefits, student loan repayments, and retirement package with Thrift Savings Plan to include matching employer contributions. For more information, please visit the following link: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/benefits/
As an expert in the field of anesthesiology is assigned the full range of cases in the field. The physician is licensed to practice medicine in the State of Washington, board eligible or certified, and is credentialed by MAMC to provide the services described.
1. Provides contemporary regional and general anesthesia care including pediatric, geriatric patients; obstetric anesthesia; and anesthesia for all surgical specialties at Madigan Army Medical Center in a variety of surgical patients (general surgery, gynecology, orthopedics, ear/nose/throat, urology, oral surgery, opthalmology, plastic surgery, thoracic surgery, vascular surgery and neurosurgery). Supervises the administration of anesthesia by nurse anesthetists; administers anesthesia to patients whose condition poses a particular anesthetic difficulty. Administers appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic nerve blocks in the treatment of acute and chronic pain. Oversees the activities of the recovery room and administers appropriate drug and respiratory therapy in the recovery room setting. Implements the proper use of mechanical ventilators in the recovery room, and as necessary in the intensive care units. Provides consultation regarding preoperative preparation, intro and postoperative anesthetic management, and treatment of chronic pain patients. Performs administrative tasks as delegated by the service chief. (70%)
2. Instructs nurse anesthesia students, physicians, interns, and physicians rotating through the Anesthesiology Service in the proper administration of anesthesia. Assumes a teaching role in the student anesthetist program and the continuing education program for graduate nurse anesthetists. (3O%)
Performs other duties as assigned.
US Citizenship required
Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicants graduation. [A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).
Candidates must have a permanent, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
AMERICA’S PREMIER MEDICAL TEAM, SAVING LIVES AND FOSTERING HEALTHY AND RESILIENT PEOPLE
- Promote, sustain, and enhance the health of our armed forces, veterans, and their families.
- Train, develop, and equip a medical force that supports full spectrum operations.
- Deliver leading-edge healthcare to our warriors and military families to optimize outcomes.
DO WHAT YOU REALLY WANT -
CARE FOR PATIENTS AND HAVE A LIFE OUTSIDE THE PRACTICE.
There are a lot of reasons you became a physician, but none of them included inﬂexible work schedules, burdensome administrative tasks, and dealing with insurance companies. By offering you exceptional employment beneﬁts as well as the opportunity to practice at locations across the U.S. and around the world, DHA delivers you the work-life balance you have always been missing.
WORK AND LIFE OPPORTUNITIES.
Practice your specialty and experience the unique career opportunities and beneﬁts that can be found at the DHA.
The civilian physicians of the Defense Health Agency meet the healthcare needs of active duty and retired military personnel, and their families, at treatment facilities across the U.S. and around the world.
- 250+ Locations Worldwide
- 5 Million+ Under Our Care
- Excellent Stafﬁng Ratios
- State-of-the-Art Facilities
- Patient-Focused Care
- Competitive Salary
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Flexible Schedules
- Recruitment Bonuses
- Job Security
- Supportive Work Environment
With job openings at more than 250 military medical facilities all across the U.S. and around the world, DHA offers you the chance to practice where you want.
THE DHA IS CURRENTLY HIRING:
- Family Medicine
- Obstetricians & Gynecologists
- Allergists & Immunologists
- Occupational Medicine
- Physical Medicine
- Preventive Medicine Physicians
- Internal Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
YOUR CAREER SEARCH STARTS HERE.
“As a civilian serving in the DHA, I get what I was missing most in my old practice. I was tired of the punishing work schedule and dealing with insurance and all the stress it brings. Now, I still practice alongside great physicians in a state-of-the-art facility, but in an environment that allows me to have a life outside the practice.
Best of all, even though I'm a civilian, I receive excellent federal beneﬁts.”
Dr. Frank R
Evans Army Community Hospital
Fort Carson, CO.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert