Psychiatrist (Physician Specialist), Correctional Health
- NYC Health + Hospitals / Correctional Health Services
- New York City, New York (US)
- $243,366 a year + benefits
- Closing date
- Apr 6, 2023
- Full Time
- Position Type
NYC Health + Hospitals is the largest municipal health care system in the nation. We are a network of 11 hospitals, trauma centers, neighborhood health centers, nursing homes, and post-acute care centers. We are a home care agency and a health plan, MetroPlus. Our health system provides essential services to 1.4 million New Yorkers every year in more than 70 locations across the city's five boroughs. Our diverse workforce of more than 42,000 employees are uniquely focused on empowering New Yorkers, without exception, to live the healthiest life possible. Visit us at https://www.nychealthandhospitals.org and stay connected on https://www.facebook.com/NYCHealthSystem nycHHC or Twitter@hhcnyc.
NYC Health + Hospitals is also home to Correctional Health Services, one of the nation’s leading correctional health care systems in quality of, and innovations and access to care. In-jail services include medical, mental health, nursing, substance use treatment, social work, dental and vision care, discharge planning, and reentry support. In addition to providing direct patient care in the jails, CHS conducts enhanced pre-arraignment screening and forensic psychiatric examinations; and leverages the resources of the Health + Hospitals system to help discharged patients successfully return to their communities. CHS is also a pivotal partner in New York City’s criminal justice reform efforts. Our workforce is comprised of more than 1,500 dedicated professionals, with locations in all five boroughs and on Rikers Island.
At NYC Health + Hospitals, our mission is to deliver high quality care health services, without exception. Every employee takes a person-centered approach that exemplifies the ICARE values (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence) through empathic communication and partnerships between all persons.
Purpose of Position:
Under general direction, provides psychiatric examinations, diagnosis and treatment to patients in a municipal hospital center, a correctional institution or a psychiatric treatment center within the City’s correctional system. May be in charge of a ward, unit or sub-unit inone of the above settings; performs related work.
Examples of Typical Tasks:
1. Examines patients to determine the nature and extent of mental illness present. When indicated, determines required therapy and/or medication and administers treatment.Is responsible for the professional care of patients during treatment and recommends discharge of patients from treatment. May make diagnoses not subject to review except in the more difficult or atypical cases. Attends or presides at clinical conferences to discuss case histories, diagnoses and treatment plans.
2. Reviews work of and provides consultation to auxiliary mental health personnel.
3. In a correctional setting, advises institution staff on such matters as inmate mental health and inmate-staff relationships. May provide consultation to other Psychiatrists and to Psychologists.
4. In a hospital setting, instructs and may supervise residents and interns. Consults withother Physicians.
5. May have administrative and clinical responsibility for a special psychiatric service program within a psychiatric division or treatment center.
1. Possession of a valid license to practice medicine in the State of New York; and,
2. Completion of three years of approved residency training in psychiatry.
Direct Line of Promotion: None. This class of position is classified in the non-competitive class.
1. Graduation from an approved medical school.
2. Completion of approved residency or fellowship in the specialty or sub-specialty and Board eligible or certified or Subboard eligible or certified.
3. Five years experience in field of specialty or subspecialty acceptable to the Medical Board of the Hospital.
4. Licensed to practice medicine in the State of New York.
Please be advised that proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required prior to hire.
If you wish to apply for this position, please apply online by clicking the "Apply Now" button or mail your resume, noting the above Job ID #, to:
NYC Health + Hospitals / Correctional Health Services
Talent Acquisition Human Resources Department
55 Water Street, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10041
Attn: Talent Acquisition
If applying online, please include your cover letter in the same file attachment with your uploaded resume.
NYC Health and Hospitals offers a competitive benefits package that includes:
- Comprehensive Health Benefits for employees hired to work 20+ hrs. per week
- Retirement Savings and Pension Plans
- Loan Forgiveness Programs for eligible employees
- Paid Holidays and Vacation in accordance with employees' Collectively bargained contracts
- College tuition discounts and professional development opportunities
- Multiple employee discounts programs
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert