Per Diem Forensic Examiner (Psychiatrist)
- NYC Health + Hospitals / Correctional Health Services
- New York City, New York
- $200 per hour
- Closing date
- Apr 5, 2023
- Per Diem
- Position Type
Physician Affiliate Group of New York (PAGNY) is comprised of nearly 3,000 physicians and healthcare professionals who provide services to NYC Health + Hospitals (H+H), the largest public health system in the United States. Our practitioners are highly skilled professionals with outstanding credentials who deliver the highest level of quality healthcare to patients throughout New York City. EOE M/F/D/V
Besides providing administrative and human resources services, PAGNY also fosters an environment in its partner hospitals that allows healthcare professionals to identify and implement best practices across institutions; promote training, academic and research opportunities; develop multidisciplinary integrated clinical service lines; build new systems of care; and address the impact of anticipated major changes in the nation's healthcare system.
The Division of Correctional Health Services (CHS) of New York City Health + Hospitals (H + H) is responsible for the delivery of medical care, mental health care and discharge planning in the jail system. CHS is a national leader in the delivery of healthcare to the criminal-justice involved population and aspires to the highest standards of care, with the goal of meeting or exceeding what is available in the community. CHS care includes a comprehensive history and physical at the point of admission, robust screening efforts (HIV, hepatitis C, STDs, TB, etc.) and the management of chronic and acute illness. CHS views incarceration as a crucial opportunity to provide care to an underserved population and improve the population health of the communities to which our patients return. CHS is committed to continuously improving the delivery of care in the security setting, using the system-wide Electronic Health Record as a tool to promote patient safety and population health. CHS has contributed to the literature on medical care in the jail as well as public health concerns related to incarceration and seeks to build on a reputation as a national leader, now integrated into the larger H + H care delivery network. CHS seeks to promote an academic practice environment with ample opportunities for continuous education, clear pathways for career growth and engagement of front line staff in the ongoing process of improving clinical care.
Perform court-ordered CPL 730 and/or 390 examinations as assigned by the FPECC Director or her designee. Examinations include review of court order and other legal documents; for CPL 730 examination, conference with co-examiner and (if available) defendant's attorney prior to interview of defendant; interview of defendant, typically by video conference; in some cases, review of medical records and other relevant clinical or historical documentation; formation of independent psycholegal opinion as to defendant's fitness to proceed; independent DSM-5 diagnostic formulation; timely submission of written report in format provided by FPECC Director, for review by supervisor; and timely submission of final report for uploading into i-Sight (CHIRP) and delivery to Court.
- Provide court-ordered evaluations for criminal and supreme courts in the respective borough clinic
- Review of all available collateral information (e.g., legal documents, family contacts, medical records)
- Consult defense attorney and ADA as appropriate
- Examine defendant
- Consult with other examiners as appropriate
- Conduct psychological testing for specific cases as appropriate
- Create a timely and concise written report documenting the rationale for and opinion about the mental health question at issue
- Testify as required by courts
- Participate in staff meetings, clinic quality improvement projects, and continuing education as possible/applicable given per diem nature of the position
- M.D or D.O degree with active NY State license in good standing
- At least one year of post-training experience as a forensic psychologist in a criminal justice settings.
- A history of testimony in criminal court cases
- An equivalent and satisfactory combination of education and experience may be considered
Schedule: To be determined at time of hiring (FPECC-MHN)
Salary: $200 per hour
Please be advised that proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required prior to hire.
This position will require a background check, security clearance and/or drug screening. PAGNY is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with federal and state employment opportunity laws, qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, gender, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, Vietnam era veteran, or disabled Veteran status.
Apply for Per Diem Forensic Examiner (Psychiatrist)
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert