Psychiatric Physician Assistant
- NYC Health + Hospitals / Correctional Health Services
- New York City, New York (US)
- $139,226.62/yr. - $149,723.88/yr.
- Closing date
- Apr 5, 2023
- Full Time
- Position Type
Psychiatric Physician Assistant
Minimum 3yrs of licensure in Physician Assistant
Salary Range: $139,226.62/yr. - $149,723.88/yr.
Physician Affiliate Group of New York (PAGNY) is comprised of nearly 3,000 physicians and healthcare professionals who provide services to NYC Health + Hospitals (H+H), the largest public health system in the United States. Our practitioners are highly skilled professionals with outstanding credentials who deliver the highest level of quality healthcare to patients throughout New York City. EOE M/F/D/V
Besides providing administrative and human resources services, PAGNY also fosters an environment in its partner hospitals that allows healthcare professionals to identify and implement best practices across institutions; promote training, academic, and research opportunities; develop multidisciplinary integrated clinical service lines; build new systems of care; and address the impact of anticipated major changes in the nation's healthcare system.
Correctional Health Services: The New York City jail system is the second largest in the nation. A significant number of individuals in the NYC jail system will receive care on the mental health service. The service strives to provide safe, holistic and evidence-based therapeutic interventions for the diverse range of mental health issues that face the population, from serious mental illness to the natural struggles that accompany incarceration. The service provides some of the most comprehensive and unique treatment modalities in the country, including specialty housing units for individuals with serious mental illness, a 24-hour on-call psychiatric service, robust creative arts programming, clinics in each of the facilities, substance use treatment, medication assisted treatment (MAT), integrated re-entry services that includes alternatives to incarceration, and relationships with multiple training institutions throughout the city. Furthermore, CHS has been engaged in an effort to better identify people with neurodevelopmental/neurocognitive disorders and to utilize psychological testing to connect people to services in the community (e.g., with OPWDD).
Under the supervision of a Senior/Supervising Psychiatrist in the Mental Health Service of CHS, this position requires the provision of high quality, team-based psychiatric services including psychopharmacologic interventions, for individuals incarcerated in the New York City jail system. Each of the facilities in the jail system has unique patient population and environmental characteristics; each psychiatric Physician’s Assistant will be matched with the population that most closely meets their clinical expertise and desired work location and schedule. Experience working in correctional settings is not required, however the ability to work closely and
effectively with multiple other disciplines, including security staff, is critical.
- Provide psychiatric care, including admission evaluations, follow-ups, and urgent and emergent consultations to individuals with mental health needs.
- Participate in the creation of an individualized treatment plan after discussing the case with the mental health care team, collecting and reviewing psychosocial data, medical history, nursing assessment, and other pertinent information.
- Evaluate patients for the need for a higher level of care, including hospitalization. If a patient is hospitalized, maintain contact with the hospital psychiatric staff to ensure continuity of care.
- Provide patient education, specifically around issues related to medications and treatment adherence, and aftercare services. Document all activities in the electronic medical record in a timely, concise and clear manner.
- Integrate nursing and medical concepts in planning care for medically complicated psychiatric patients.
- Provide consultation to non-prescribing mental health staff and medical staff about diagnosis, treatment and/or the need for psychiatric medication.
- Counsel patients using advanced psychotherapeutic techniques, including in group settings if needed.
- Participate in team meetings with the treatment staff, on a daily basis if working on a mental observation unit and on a weekly basis if working in one of the clinics.
- Engage in clinical supervision, as indicated, with the Supervising or Senior psychiatrist.
- Provide clinical oversight for psychiatric physician’s assistant trainees as needed, including appropriate direct supervision and documentation of evaluation and feedback.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Psychiatrist or Mental Health Manager for the facility, Medical Director or Chief of Service for Psychiatry, or their respective designees.
This position is located on Rikers Island.
- A Bachelor’s Degree
- State of New York Certified Physician’s Assistant
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician’s Assistant
- At least 3 years of hospital or outpatient clinical experience as a PA in Behavioral Health
- An equivalent and satisfactory combination of education and experience may be considered
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of psychopathology in assessing patients in need of mental health treatment, including mental status examination and diagnosis.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of psychopharmacology as it pertains to the patient population being treated and writing prescriptions.
Please be advised that proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required prior to hire.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert