- Defense Health Agency (DHA)
- El Paso, TX
- Closing date
- Feb 4, 2024
Physician (Psychiatry) - El Paso, TX
Located in El Paso, TX, Fort Bliss is home to the 1 st Armored Division. We are a FORSCOM installation comprised of other commands: MEDCOM, JTF-NORTH, TRADOC, USAR, and other elements. Fort Bliss is comprised of approximately 1.12 million acres of land in Texas and New México. The Main Cantonment Area of Fort Bliss is located adjacent to El Paso, Texas. El Paso is a jewel in the desert. Nestled between the rugged Franklin Mountains and the historic Rio Grande, this border community combines the advantages of a major city with the charm of a modern western town. El Paso is a major transportation hub with abundant cultural and entertainment opportunities. El Paso has a low crime rate and an extremely favorable cost-of-living index. Seven in ten El Pasoans are bilingual in English and Spanish.
Working for the Department of Defense comes with an abundance of benefits and perks to include competitive compensation packages, paid-time off, medical benefits, student loan repayments, and retirement package with Thrift Savings Plan to include matching employer contributions. For more information, please visit the following link: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/benefits/
The supervisor provides general professional, administrative and medical direction and outlines the general scope of professional services and administrative policies. Serves as an Expert in the field of Psychiatry and is expected to supervise and help physicians of lower grade level in the management of difficult or complex cases. Work is evaluated through professional discussions with, and review of medical records, by Chiefs of various clinical services and peer review and audit procedures established for psychiatric care at the institution serviced.
1. Employee performs duties as a Practitioner and Consultant in Psychiatry with emphasis on problems of all levels of complexity and must come to the position with knowledge and experience (ideally working with the military population) providing treatment services in any capacity including, but not limited to, inpatient service, partial hospitalization service, intensive outpatient services, routine outpatient services, consultation liaison services and must be well-versed to transition to any area as required. Treatments require very advanced knowledge and/or skill and selection from a variety of alternatives. Incumbent makes recommendations on major diagnostics and treatment plans. Employee provides continuing follow-up care for chronic inpatients and outpatients with acute disorders and complications of these disorders, such as psychosis, organic brain syndrome, substance abuse/addictions, etc. and provides psychiatric care for walk-in patients presenting with acute illnesses of minor and major proportions. The employee is expected to exercise initiative and sound judgment in establishing evaluation techniques, developing treatment and rehabilitation plans and providing appropriate therapeutic treatment services. Examines and conducts thorough studies of presenting patients and evaluates laboratory and clinical findings, prescribing appropriate treatment or referring patient to appropriate specialty clinics. Incumbent collaborates with physicians in other medical specialties on cases involving complicated and multifaceted problems and provides professional consultation, supervision, and collaborative medical support to other professional staff such as psychologists, advanced practical nurses, social workers, as well as military specific liaison work with commanders. Employee may be assigned to be the prescribing team member for a way of delivering BH health care in a forward location within the footprint of a supported FORSCOM unit. This type of BH delivery consists of consultation with operational unit leaders, endeavors to identify Soldiers with BH issues early in the course of their psychopathology and provides appropriate treatment and recommendations for disposition, such as medical retirement or administrative separation. The cases assigned to the incumbent would be higher levels of complexity to include PTSD, psychosis, bipolar, etc.
2. Incumbent directs Quality Assurance studies within his/her area of responsibility and makes decisions that have a serious impact on the lives of others, such as recommending hospitalization or determining a service member's fitness for duty or assessing and completing Medical Evaluation Board (MEB), Temporary Disability Retirement List (TDRL) evaluations, psychological autopsies, sanity boards, command consultations, and other administrative processes as required and prepares reports of such evaluations according to applicable regulations. Identifies patient treatment needs and arranges for a safe therapeutic outcome.
Incumbent accomplishes special program assignments such as training, program coordination, research, analysis, and consultation as required. Participates, supports, and assumes primary responsibility for specified assignments in Q.I. activities in the Psychiatry Service. Demonstrates an understanding of requirements and benefits of TRICARE and can effectively communicate these to beneficiaries. Prepares and maintains convenience file, outpatient medical record, and inpatient record documentation in accordance with service and hospital SOPs. Employee prepares case summaries and other correspondence in a timely and effective fashion.
3. Provides training to residents by giving lectures, demonstrations, and conducting ward rounds.
Performs other duties as assigned
US Citizenship required
Must be either Board Eligible or Board Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Must have completion of Residency in Psychiatry
Must possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a Physician from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States
Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicants graduation. (A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).
AMERICA’S PREMIER MEDICAL TEAM, SAVING LIVES AND FOSTERING HEALTHY AND RESILIENT PEOPLE
- Promote, sustain, and enhance the health of our armed forces, veterans, and their families.
- Train, develop, and equip a medical force that supports full spectrum operations.
- Deliver leading-edge healthcare to our warriors and military families to optimize outcomes.
DO WHAT YOU REALLY WANT -
CARE FOR PATIENTS AND HAVE A LIFE OUTSIDE THE PRACTICE.
There are a lot of reasons you became a physician, but none of them included inﬂexible work schedules, burdensome administrative tasks, and dealing with insurance companies. By offering you exceptional employment beneﬁts as well as the opportunity to practice at locations across the U.S. and around the world, DHA delivers you the work-life balance you have always been missing.
WORK AND LIFE OPPORTUNITIES.
Practice your specialty and experience the unique career opportunities and beneﬁts that can be found at the DHA.
The civilian physicians of the Defense Health Agency meet the healthcare needs of active duty and retired military personnel, and their families, at treatment facilities across the U.S. and around the world.
- 250+ Locations Worldwide
- 5 Million+ Under Our Care
- Excellent Stafﬁng Ratios
- State-of-the-Art Facilities
- Patient-Focused Care
- Competitive Salary
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Flexible Schedules
- Recruitment Bonuses
- Job Security
- Supportive Work Environment
With job openings at more than 250 military medical facilities all across the U.S. and around the world, DHA offers you the chance to practice where you want.
THE DHA IS CURRENTLY HIRING:
- Family Medicine
- Obstetricians & Gynecologists
- Allergists & Immunologists
- Occupational Medicine
- Physical Medicine
- Preventive Medicine Physicians
- Internal Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
YOUR CAREER SEARCH STARTS HERE.
“As a civilian serving in the DHA, I get what I was missing most in my old practice. I was tired of the punishing work schedule and dealing with insurance and all the stress it brings. Now, I still practice alongside great physicians in a state-of-the-art facility, but in an environment that allows me to have a life outside the practice.
Best of all, even though I'm a civilian, I receive excellent federal beneﬁts.”
Dr. Frank R
Evans Army Community Hospital
Fort Carson, CO.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert