Vice President of Medical Affairs - Mercy Health Toledo
- Bon Secours Mercy Health
- Toledo, Ohio
- Closing date
- Dec 20, 2023
- General Practice
- Full Time
- Position Type
Creates and implements strategies that advance the alignment and engagement of physicians with Mercy Health St. Anne Hospital. Promotes the effectiveness and reputation of Hospital by focusing on quality, patient safety, physician recruitment, physician credentialing, well-being and unity. Works with the Medical Staff leaders to increase the strength of physician governance, and in collaboration with the Chief of Staff, drives toward consistent processes within the Hospitals. Coordinates with Presidents, Chief Nursing Officers (CNO), Directors of Quality and Case Management and the Executive Team to achieve overall Hospital targets. This position requires 0.125 FTE administrative time.
Essential Job Functions
- Become oriented to and familiar with BSMH, Medical Group, Hospitals operations, Medical Staff Departments and Committees, Quality initiatives, Hospitals Leadership teams and strategic aims.
- Work with the independent medical staff members to support their practice within the Hospital and meet concerns identified on a timely basis. Attending committee meetings as appropriate.
- Conduct regular operational reviews with the Service Line partners for accountability and performance improvement.
- Personally, meet and develop strong professional relationships with key members of the medical staff as well as formal and informal clinical leadership. From these meetings, develop a list of priorities from a medical staff perspective and review/discuss with Market CCO and leadership teams to arrive achieve consensus.
- Work with Market President, Market Chief Clinical Officer (CCO), Chief Operating Officer (COO), Group Chief Strategy Officer (CSO), to develop strategies and mechanisms to strengthen clinical integration, provider engagement, quality, operational efficiency, and market share.
- Assist with updates and maintenance of the electronic medical record.
- Evaluate the new physician orientation program, make any needed changes, and assure new physicians receive an effective orientation. Encourage and mentor physician executives with BSMH entities; identify physician leadership succession planning needs; foster an environment of physician leaders working together.
- Review provider scores on patient satisfaction surveys and implement processes for improvement in scores. Resolve conflicts and address issues that may arise within the medical staffs before it has a negative impact of clinical care.
- Assess opportunities to standardize provider practice, institute an evidence based clinical approach and develop performance metrics that demonstrate hospital s commitment to practices which are physician-led and professionally managed.
- Evaluate structure and processes associated with BSMH service line development and continuum of services within the context of population health principles and provide input, along with senior leader colleagues, to advance these initiatives.
- Five (5) years of progressively more responsible experience preferable. Previous experience in Medical Staff leadership role required. Strong EMR experience, Epic experience preferred.
- Knowledge of management theory and health care trends and an understanding of Medical Staff governance and peer review required. An in-depth understanding and successful track record in patient experience, hospital efficiency, patient safety, quality assurance and utilization review activities required. Analytical abilities necessary to evaluate impact of proposed changes in the operations of the Hospital required. Excellent oral and written communications skills required.
- Medical Degree and Board Certification.
- Valid license to practice medicine in Ohio or eligibility to attain license.
About Mercy Health Toledo
Mercy Health northern market is a seven-hospital system and a preferred provider of healthcare services for a 20-county area in Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan. As a faith-based healthcare system, Mercy Health continues to honor its long-standing Mission to extend the healing ministry of Jesus by improving the health of our communities, with an emphasis on the underserved. Mercy demonstrates behaviors reflecting its core values of compassion, excellence, human dignity, justice, service, and sacredness of life.
Mercy Health is the largest healthcare system in Ohio and ranked nationally in the top 20% of health systems for clinical quality and efficiency.
Mercy Health is a recognized leader in providing quality, cost-effective healthcare and is a regional leader in collaboration with other community organizations to meet community needs. Mercy is a preferred provider in the majority of health insurance plans, we actively work to control healthcare costs through managed care contracts and insurance initiatives.
Mercy Health provides comprehensive primary and critical care services:
- Highest Designations to treat obstetrical, newborn and trauma patients
- Comprehensive Women's Services
- Nationally recognized Heart Center
- Nationally recognized Pediatric Diabetes Program
- Comprehensive Cancer Centers
- The region's first dedicated hospital-based Palliative Care Unit
- Complete neuroscience and neurological services for adults and children
- Comprehensive Critical Care Transportation system that includes five air ambulances (Life Flight) and seven mobile intensive care units
- Premier provider of Medical Education Programs including allopathic and osteopathic residencies and Mercy College
- Highly acclaimed Occupational Health Services
- Home Care services
- Outpatient laboratory, Radiology and Surgical Services
- Mercy Centers for Health Promotion
- Sleep Disorder Centers
- Comprehensive, interdisciplinary Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit
Apply for Vice President of Medical Affairs - Mercy Health Toledo
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert