Pediatric Infectious Diseases (PIDs) Subspecialty Faculty Physician-Scientist
Baylor Scott & White (BSW) McLane Children s Medical Center
(Affiliated with Texas A&M University HSC COM)
Baylor Scott & White Health (BSWH) , Central Texas Division is seeking a full-time BC/BE, fellowship trained Pediatric Infectious Diseases subspecialist who loves a clinical and teaching role and has a strong interest in clinical vaccinology research to join two full time Board Certified Pediatric Infectious Diseases Subspecialists in the Section of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Division of Multispecialty Pediatrics of the Department of Pediatrics with an outstanding Pediatric Residency program and a Fellowship in Neonatology. The Pediatric ID subspecialist will spend approximately 60% effort in providing direct consultation and follow-up care to patients in the inpatient and outpatient settings including some outreach telemedicine clinics/consults and teach residents/fellows/medical students residing in our family-friendly Central Texas Hill Country area. Current Pediatric ID subspecialists in our section are involved with patient care, teaching, clinical vaccinology research, antimicrobial stewardship, infection prevention and control, and administration.
The remaining 40% effort will be spent as a research investigator in the BSWH Center for Research in Vaccines and Infections (CRVI) led by the founding director and current PIDs section chief. The BSWH CRVI director has a broad vision of research in epidemiology and prevention, and diagnosis, and management of infectious diseases in children and adults. The current scope is vaccine effectiveness and safety research in pediatric and adult populations and an emphasis on interdisciplinary and translational research in respiratory viral infections along with leadership training. Specialization and experience or interest in the following is preferred: vaccine effectiveness and safety, epidemiology, prevention, diagnosis and management of infectious diseases, clinical vaccine trials, and viral respiratory infections.
Qualified candidates will have a strong interest and/or record of research productivity including publications and/or grant contributions and potential for development of an independent research program. Candidates should have strong communication, and have experience or be interested in project management, and team leadership skills. Preference will be given to candidates with experience and/or strong interest in interdisciplinary research. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to and help further develop an extramurally funded, independent research program, mentor team members/residents in training/junior faculty/graduate students and develop interdisciplinary collaborations. The position offers outstanding institutional support and opportunities for collaboration.
- Position is located at our free standing, 112 bed, BSW McLane Children's Medical Center with 24 hour Children s ED and trauma center (under the larger BSW Health system), with 48 private medical/surgical rooms, 16 private bed PICU and a 48 bed NICU, and our Pediatric Multi-specialty Clinic in Temple, TX. The level IV NICU is located ~5 minutes driving distance on main BSWMC, Temple campus.
- Joining a PIDs consulting service to practice part-time with 1 FT BC Pedi ID subspecialist who primarily serves as a clinician-teacher and the current pediatric antimicrobial stewardship director, and 1 FT BC Pedi ID section chief who is mostly serving as CRVI director and principal investigator with a small PIDs practice.
- Overall expected clinical PIDs consulting service coverage is 24-7 all year, with 1.5 FTE clinical PIDs subspecialists (including this position) covering the inpatient floors, PICU, NICU and outpatient consulting and follow-up services, and covering a shared PIDs task pager during weekdays and afterhours
- Expected shared weekend PIDs inpatient/ED service coverage is at least ~17-18 weekends per year
- Expected part-time Pediatric Resident, Neonatology Fellows and Medical Student, Pharmacists, Nursing and Physician Extenders education at bedside and in formal or informal settings such as core lectures, journal clubs, critical thinking rounds and grand rounds.
- Part-time clinical based position with teaching of residents on the Pedi ID rotation, and part-time clinical research, and if interested, service on departmental/system committees
- Employed position with clinical academic affiliation currently through Texas A&M University Health Science Center College of Medicine (transitioning to Baylor College of Medicine in 2023)
Benefits Our competitive benefits package includes*:
Immediate eligibility for health and welfare benefits and time off
401(k) savings plan with dollar-for-dollar employer match
457(f) savings plan with employer contribution
CME reimbursement and paid time off
Excellent Relocation Assistance packages
*Note: Benefits may vary based upon position type and/or level.
Baylor Scott & White Health (BSWH) is the largest not-for-profit health care system in Texas and one of the largest in the United States. With a commitment to and a track record of innovation, collaboration, integrity and compassion for the patient, BSWH stands to be one of the nation s exemplary health care organizations. Our mission is to serve all people by providing personalized health and wellness through exemplary care, education and research as a Christian ministry of healing. Joining our team is not just accepting a job, it is accepting a calling!