Psychiatrist Work Life Balance Fresno California VA
The VA offers Physicians and all employees industry leading full benefits and features package to support high quality professional practice & favorable work-life-family balance.
VA Central California Healthcare System (VACCHCS) is seeking a full-time academically oriented psychiatrist to work within the Substance Use Disorder Program (SUDP) assigned to the Buprenorphine Treatment clinic. The psychiatrist will also perform general psychiatric assessments and treatment in an inter-disciplinary setting to include psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, nurses, physician assistant, addiction therapists as well as residents. The SUDP is a cognitive-behavioral oriented program that also utilizes interventions and motivational interviewing techniques.
The VA is a core training site for the UCSF Fresno Residency training program in numerous specialties and fellowships including psychiatry. With a faculty appointment, opportunities for resident supervision, teaching and clinical research will be available and encouraged. Responsibilities will include supervision of psychiatric residents, fellows, and medical students on core and elective psychiatry rotations at the VA, participation in UCSF Fresno Psychiatry Grand Rounds, and didactic seminar series. Candidates must be either board certified or eligible in Psychiatry (US Boards) by the date of hire; must be California medical licensed or eligible to obtain a California medical license; and must have completed Psychiatry residency training.
The program is based in Fresno, California, which offers a high standard of living combined with a low cost of living. The result is a quality of life uniquely Californian, yet surprisingly affordable. Limitless recreational opportunities and spectacular scenery is all accessible in a community with abundant affordable housing. While there is much to see and do in Fresno, the city is ideally located for fast, convenient getaways to the majestic Sierra (just 90 minutes away) as well as the scenic Central Coast, just 2.5 hours away. Fresno is the only major city in the country with close proximity to three national parks, including renowned Yosemite National Park. Conveniently located within a day s drive of San Francisco and Los Angeles
Expected Salary range for well qualified Psychiatrist will range from $111,035.00 to $282,480.00, with consideration given to candidate's qualifications, credentials, and experience; and may include up to $15,000 in Annual Performance Bonus. Selected candidate may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), and if approved, receive up to $200k in school loan repayment
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits, 2) FERS-RAE basic benefits (pension), and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- How is the pension funded? VA employees automatically contribute 4.4% of their salary each pay period and the VA contributes 8.3% of the employee s salary each pay period for a total annual contribution percentage equal to 12.7% of the employee s salary
- Similar to the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service. For calendar year 2022, employees under the age of 50 may contribute up to $19,500, while those over age 50 are eligible to make catch-up contributions that allow them to defer up to $25,500.
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years service
Click here to schedule time to speak with Greg
Gregory.Salmon@va.gov Call or Text (321) 689-7080
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
As required by Executive Order 14043, Federal employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee s duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before your start date. The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required exception from this requirement using the reasonable accommodation process.