Sleep Medicine Work Life Balance Fresno California VA
The Fresno VA Central California Health Care System (VACCHCS) Pulmonary-Critical Care Division is recruiting a Sleep Medicine Physician to evaluate, diagnose, treat, and provide non-surgical therapy to patients with sleep disorders including the provision of consultation. The Sleep medicine physician functions under the Chief of the Pulmonary-Critical Care Medicine, the Chief of Medicine, and the Chief of Staff. Compliance with all health care system policies, rules, regulations, and by-laws is expected. The program partners with numerous subspecialists including ENT, Dentistry, Psychology, Mental Health, Pulmonary, Medicine and Primary Care.
Duties of a sleep medicine physician include, but are not limited to:
- Perform comprehensive evaluation of patients presenting with sleep disorders, diagnose, treat and manage patients with sleep disorders according to standard of care in the field.
- Apply National and VA guidelines to patient screening, surveillance, and management of sleep disorders.
- Interpret polysomnograms, multiple sleep latency tests, and home sleep studies; attend sleep disorders clinic and sleep telemedicine program and participate in sleep research.
- Collaborate with Primary care, Mental health, Psychology, ENT, OMFS, Dentistry, Pulmonary, Neurology specialists and the VA Telemedicine Sleep specialists to coordinate care of patients with sleep disorders.
- The Sleep Medicine specialist is expected to participate in supervision of trainees in the field of Sleep Medicine.
- Fulfills the clinical, educational, and research missions of the section, including participating in Quality Improvement programs and Peer review, and should qualify for an academic appointment at the University of California-San Francisco.
Expected Salary range $300,000 to $348,000, with consideration given to candidate's qualifications, credentials, and experience; and may include up to $15,000 in Annual Performance Bonus.
Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), and if approved, receive up to $200k in school loan repayment.
The VA offers Physicians and all employees industry leading full benefits and features package to support high quality professional practice & favorable work-life-family balance.
Pay: Competitive salary, annual performance bonus, regular salary increases
Paid Time Off: 50-55 days of paid time off per year (26 days of annual leave, 13 days of sick leave, 11 paid Federal holidays per year and possible 5 day paid absence for CME)
Insurance: Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement)
Licensure: Full and unrestricted license from any US State or territory
CME: Possible $1,000 per year reimbursement (must be full-time with board certification)
Malpractice: Free liability protection with tail coverage provided
Contract: No Physician Employment Contract and no significant restriction on moonlight
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits, 2) FERS-RAE basic benefits (pension), and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- How is the pension funded? VA employees automatically contribute 4.4% of their salary each pay period and the VA contributes 8.3% of the employee s salary each pay period for a total annual contribution percentage equal to 12.7% of the employee s salary
- Similar to the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service. For calendar year 2022, employees under the age of 50 may contribute up to $19,500, while those over age 50 are eligible to make catch-up contributions that allow them to defer up to $25,500.
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years service