A Lead Hematologist / Oncologist duties and responsibilities at the Syracuse VA Medical Center:
- Provide general Hematology and Oncology services in keeping with good clinical practice and standards of the Hematology/Oncology Section and Medicine Service at the Syracuse Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center and SUNY Upstate Medical University.
- Close supervision, education and coordination of the Hematology/Oncology fellows, medical residents and medical students when in rotation on your service.
- Close collaboration with our University Affiliate to promote our missions of education, research, and development of our fellows in training to use evidenced based medical care.
- Collaboration with the physician extenders and nursing care providers in the Hematology/Oncology Section.
- Be a resource for Primary Care providers to assist in the timely care of patients and appropriate referral to Hematology/Oncology.
- Provide expertise in multispecialty and patient care related discussions.
- As a staff physician in the Acute & Specialty Care ICC and hematology-oncology subspecialty sections, you will be encouraged to participate in the development or on-going research, quality improvement and teaching as it relates to your professional interests.
- Provide in-patient and outpatient Hematology and Oncology consultation services and any necessary education required to all provider staff as needed.
- Perform clinical procedures as necessary within the Hematology/Oncology Section (i.e. bone marrow biopsies).
- Function as an active member of the Hematology/Oncology Department of the Syracuse Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
- Obtain and Maintain Hematology/Oncology board certification and training.
- You will be expected to serve on Peer review and actively participate in the Multidisciplinary Oncology Committee meetings as well as other committees as requested by the Medical Center Director, Chief of Staff, and/or Chief of Medicine or Chief of Hematology-Oncology sections.
- You will be expected to be in compliance with the Medical Staff bylaws and will complete all medical records timely through CPRS (Computerized Patient Record System) in accordance with VA Policies and Regulations.
- All attending physicians are expected to participate in ongoing process improvements within their specific areas of expertise thereby promoting quality, efficiency, patient safety and timely access to care for our veteran patients.
- All Acute & Specialty service providers are asked to become involved in teaching internal medicine residents and undergraduate medical students within their areas of expertise.
- All physicians are actively engaged in completing quarterly chart reviews and other quality assurance work within the department.
- Will ensure timely record completion for all patients as outlined in the Department.
- All physicians are expected to attend quarterly General Medical Staff meetings and monthly Acute/Specialty Care ICC Department staff meetings when you are on duty.
- You will also be expected to promote a cooperative and collegial environment within your area.
- You may be asked to have direct oversight of care rendered by a physician extender within your area.
- You will be expected to collaborate with Nursing, pharmacy, and all other ancillary personnel throughout the facility as needed to ensure processes are created for the safe, reliable delivery of chemotherapeutic care.
VA offers a comprehensive total rewards package. VHA Physician Total Rewards.
Pay: Competitive salary, annual performance bonus, regular salary increases
Paid Time Off: 50-55 days of annual paid time offer per year (26 days of annual leave, 13 days of sick leave, 11 paid Federal holidays per year and possible 5 day paid absence for CME)
Retirement: Traditional federal pension (5 years vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA
Insurance: Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement)
Licensure: 1 full and unrestricted license from any US State or territory
CME: Possible $1,000 per year reimbursement
Malpractice: Free liability protection with tail coverage provided
Contract: No Physician Employment Contract and no significant restriction on moonlighting
Work Schedule: M-F 07:30 to 4:00 with occasional On-Call hours.
Questions About This Job