Type of Position
The Staff Physician will deliver skilled, ethical, evidence-based, comprehensive primary health care, including assessment, diagnosis, treatment and referral, to students in a clinic setting, with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention and within the scope of practice of the physician as governed by the New York State Education Department.
Primary Care Health Service
Reports to Title
Full or Part Time
Number Of Months
Monday through Friday, 8:45 am to 5:30pm, occasional weekend call on call one weeknight a week
Position Summary Information
Essential Duties Summary
Direct Clinical Care Within the Urgent Care and Appointment Systems:
1. Obtain extensive health histories including psychosocial, cultural and environmental aspects.
2. Perform comprehensive physical and gynecological examinations.
3. Order and interpret appropriate diagnostic laboratory and imaging tests.
4. Make appropriate diagnoses and formulate treatment plans accordingly.
5. Identify and manage both acute and chronic health problems in accordance with evidence-based guidelines and current medical literature resources and by utilizing a variety of modalities such as nutrition and exercise counseling and smoking cessation techniques.
6. Make appropriate referrals for those patients requiring specialty evaluation, hospitalization or emergency care.
7. Evaluate the need for follow up, the effectiveness of interventions, patient responses to plan of care and make necessary modifications.
8. In the absence of the Medical Director, lead the clinical team in basic procedures for patients in emergency situations.
9. Participate in the after-hours clinician-on-call system.
10. Thoroughly document all pertinent data, including clinician/patient interactions, in the patients' electronic health records.
11. Develop educational presentations for the clinical team and assist the Medical Director in coordinating the schedule of clinical meetings for the providers.
12. Assess and care for students with COVID and COVID like symptoms.
Patient Education and Health Promotion:
1. Provide individualized anticipatory guidance, screening and health education to promote and maintain health.
2. Refer to other Primary Care Health Service clinicians and health educators for further information as indicated.
3. Participate in formal and informal campus health and wellness programs.
4. Using evidence-based information & techniques, guide patients in areas of nutrition, exercise and smoking cessation.
1. Communicate with patients via telephone regarding laboratory and imaging test results, advice, follow up instructions and referrals and document each interaction in the electronic health record.
2. Provide precise and accurate information to enable the patient to make informed health care decisions and to promote her active participation in her own care.
3. Inform patients of their rights.
4. Promote positive patient relations and treat others with care and respect, maintaining confidentiality, privacy and dignity.
Collaboration, Consultation and Teaching of Colleagues:
1. Work collaboratively with, and as a consultant to, other members of the clinical staff on the joint management of patients.
2. Participate with the Medical Director and nurse practitioners in the Primary Care Health Service's Collaborative Practice Agreement.
3. Precept Adolescent Medicine Fellows rotating through the Primary Care Health Service from local teaching hospitals
4. Present to clinical staff on current medical issues, protocols and research.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Maintain current licensure as required by the New York State Education Department.
• Actively support and participate in Primary Care Health Service Quality Assurance activities, departmental provider meetings and supervisor/peer review.
• Attend professional continuing education activities and conferences. Stay current with and adhere to federal, state and local health regulations and recommendations, particularly immunization requirements.
• Develop and evaluate own goals for professional growth.
• Participate in annual performance evaluations and review of the M.D. job description.
• Participate in creating and updating departmental and patient education literature.
• Maintain confidentiality of patient information.
• Demonstrate a non-judgmental knowledge of, and sensitivity to, diverse patient cultures and a commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
• Contribute to the orientation of new clinical and administrative staff.
• Update computer skills as required for documentation of patient records and other uses.
• Participate in the ongoing preparation for re-accreditation surveys by the AAAHC .
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Medical Director and the Primary Care Health Service Director.
Required Qualification Summary
• Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) license to practice in New York State
• Board Certification, or training and experience equivalent thereto, in relevant medical specialties of family medicine or pediatrics/adolescent medicine (latter preferred.)
• A minimum of three years of medical practice experience
• Demonstration of ongoing, continuing medical education and re-certification, where applicable
• A commitment to women's health and the developmental issues of adolescence
• Relevant computer skills
• Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support ( ACLS ) certification
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Preferred Qualification Summary
• Experience in a college or university health service is highly desirable.
• Prior experience with electronic health records.
Physical Demands Summary
• Able to fully ambulate, go up and down stairs
Posting Detail Information
Barnard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Barnard does not discriminate due to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis, and to the extent permitted by law. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.
Open Until Filled
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume Cover Letter/Letter of Application