The Wayne State University School of Medicine (WSU SOM) Department of Internal Medicine, is seeking a Chief for the Division of Gastroenterology (GI) at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor. The GI program is a collaborative effort between WSU SOM and Wayne Health. As a member of Wayne Health, the physician will participate in the clinical activities of the division.
As a faculty member of WSU SOM, the successful candidate will join the Department of Internal Medicine leadership team and be responsible for the following:
1. Working to actively promote the GI Division as a dynamic leader in clinical care and continuing medical education through programs that maximize exposure of our exceptional programs, faculty and expertise;
2. Teaching and mentoring medical students, residents and GI fellows;
3. Recruiting new and energizing/retaining existing high caliber faculty, staff, and trainees in a manner consistent with the GI Division’s core mission of education, research and clinical care;
4. Mentoring and serving as a role model to all colleagues, including those whose race, ethnicity and gender are underrepresented in the medical profession;
5. Developing and implementing innovative mentoring and career development plans for all new hires and current faculty, toward development and growth of a regional and national research and clinical reputation;
6. Developing a plan for allocation of new resources for hypothesis-driven research that fosters understanding of the pathogenesis and treatment of gastroenterologic and hepatic diseases, and that leads to the acquisition of substantive extramural funding.
7. Demonstrating a firm commitment to fiscally sound management and prudent allocation of available resources; establishing and monitoring appropriate accountabilities for faculty, staff and trainees;
8. Providing responsible fiscal stewardship along with the Chair of the Department of Internal Medicine, and proactively seeking entrepreneurial opportunities for the division;
9. Other duties as assigned.
Wayne State University (WSU) is a premier, public, urban research university located in the heart of Detroit where students from all backgrounds are offered a rich, high quality education.
Our deep-rooted commitment to excellence, collaboration, integrity, and diversity, equity, and inclusion creates exceptional educational opportunities, preparing students for success in a diverse, global society. WSU encourages applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups. WSU is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
A salary commensurate with experience, as well as a competitive benefits package, will be offered.
Interested applicants should apply on-line at https://jobs.wayne.edu, Posting 045335. Please upload a cover letter and curriculum vitae addressed to Dr. M. Safwan Badr, Professor and Chair, WSU SOM Department of Internal Medicine, outlining areas of interest.