- Defense Health Agency (DHA)
- Ft. Belvoir, VA
- Closing date
- Jan 31, 2023
This position is located in Fairfax, VA.
This is a civilian Physician (Psychiatry) position that affords job security, a competitive salary, bonuses, moving expenses, full malpractice coverage, 13-26 days paid vacation, 10 days paid Federal Holidays, a sick leave benefit and a first-class health and retirement benefit package.
We are seeking ordinary people with extraordinary hearts to care for the men and women who wear and have worn the uniform and their families.
Position is responsible for the management and treatment of psychiatric diagnosis for active duty service members and retirees, their dependents and all other eligible beneficiaries. Position requires a Degree in Medicine, completion of Residency in Psychiatry and Board Certification by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
Medical malpractice liability insurance is not required for federal civilian healthcare providers as they are covered by the Federal Tort Claims Act (28 U.S.C. § 1346(b)) while acting within the scope of their employment.
A recruitment or relocation bonus may be authorized.
You must be a U.S. Citizenship.
Scope of services include, but are not limited to;
- Providing treatment services in any capacity including, but not limited to, examining, diagnosing and treating diseases affecting mental health including the brain, nervous system, substance abuse of drugs or chemicals and personality disturbances.
- Specializing in treating mental illness using the biomedical approach to mental disorders, including psychotherapies.
- Providing treatment services in any capacity including, but not limited to, assessment, medication management and disposition of psychiatric patients including making arrangements for hospitalization if needed.
- Providing routine, intensive, complex and emergency intakes and extended evaluations for a variety of emotional, psychological, and behavioral disorders.
- Providing continuing follow-up care for chronic patients with acute disorders and complications of these disorders, such as psychosis, organic brain syndrome, substance abuse/addictions, etc.
- Perform initial patient work-up to assess patient care and/or treatment.
- Discriminate between abnormal and normal findings to recognize early stages of physical, emotional, and/or mental problems.
- Completes required records (both paper and electronic) pertaining to all medical services provided in accordance with specified procedures and regulations.
- Exercises independent judgment with full responsibility for professional diagnosis, treatment, referral and disposition of patients, IAW Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Ensures the highest standards of professional practice and ethics are maintained.
- Treating patients presenting a range of symptoms as represented in DSM-V. Incumbent will be responsible for decisions that have a serious impact on the lives of others, such as recommending hospitalization or determining a service member's fitness for duty or assessing and completing Medical Evaluation Board (MEB), Temporary Disability Retirement List (TDRL) evaluations, command consultations, and other administrative processes as required and prepares reports of such evaluations according to applicable regulations.
- Documenting in an electronic record such as AHLTA, HAIMS, BHDP, CHCS, Military Health System is desired.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Physician (Psychiatry):
Degree: Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, or equivalent from a school in the United States or Canada. This degree must have been accredited by the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association; Association of American Medical Colleges; Liaison Committee on Medical Education; Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation of the American Osteopathic Association, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained. A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school must have provided education and medical knowledge equivalent to accredited schools in the United States. Evidence of equivalency to accredited schools in the United States is demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates, a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country, or successful completion of the U.S. Medical Licensing Examination.
Licensure: Applicants must possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a Physician from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
Graduate Training: Subsequent to obtaining a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree, a candidate must have had at least one year of supervised experience providing direct service in a clinical setting, i.e., a one-year internship or the first year of a residency program in a hospital or an institution accredited for such training.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Residency Training: Applicants must have successfully completed the required accredited residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled (Psychiatry) and equivalent experience and training equal to at least 5 years. Experience may not be substituted for residency training that is required for the specialty identified.
NOTE: This vacancy announcement will be used to fill multiple specialties, to include positions for adult and pediatric/adolescent treatment populations. Applicants will be referred to the selecting official based on their experience/qualifications and the needs of the specific position to be filled.
If selected, a salary quote will not be provided to you at the time of the initial job offer. The salary determination process begins after the initial job offer is accepted. This consists of the Activity Compensation Panel adding base pay and market pay to determine your starting salary and this will be provided to you once approved.
Salary for physician positions is based on a tier scale, determined by the position specialty, grade, and location. This announcement may be used to fill positions at any of the tier's listed below:
Tier 1 - Minimum $108,645 Maximum $282,480
Tier 2 - Minimum $115,000 Maximum $306,600
Tier 3 - Minimum $130,000 Maximum $336,000
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
AMERICA’S PREMIER MEDICAL TEAM, SAVING LIVES AND FOSTERING HEALTHY AND RESILIENT PEOPLE
- Promote, sustain, and enhance the health of our armed forces, veterans, and their families.
- Train, develop, and equip a medical force that supports full spectrum operations.
- Deliver leading-edge healthcare to our warriors and military families to optimize outcomes.
DO WHAT YOU REALLY WANT -
CARE FOR PATIENTS AND HAVE A LIFE OUTSIDE THE PRACTICE.
There are a lot of reasons you became a physician, but none of them included inﬂexible work schedules, burdensome administrative tasks, and dealing with insurance companies. By offering you exceptional employment beneﬁts as well as the opportunity to practice at locations across the U.S. and around the world, DHA delivers you the work-life balance you have always been missing.
WORK AND LIFE OPPORTUNITIES.
Practice your specialty and experience the unique career opportunities and beneﬁts that can be found at the DHA.
The civilian physicians of the Defense Health Agency meet the healthcare needs of active duty and retired military personnel, and their families, at treatment facilities across the U.S. and around the world.
- 250+ Locations Worldwide
- 5 Million+ Under Our Care
- Excellent Stafﬁng Ratios
- State-of-the-Art Facilities
- Patient-Focused Care
- Competitive Salary
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Flexible Schedules
- Recruitment Bonuses
- Job Security
- Supportive Work Environment
With job openings at more than 250 military medical facilities all across the U.S. and around the world, DHA offers you the chance to practice where you want.
THE DHA IS CURRENTLY HIRING:
- Family Medicine
- Obstetricians & Gynecologists
- Allergists & Immunologists
- Occupational Medicine
- Physical Medicine
- Preventive Medicine Physicians
- Internal Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
YOUR CAREER SEARCH STARTS HERE.
“As a civilian serving in the DHA, I get what I was missing most in my old practice. I was tired of the punishing work schedule and dealing with insurance and all the stress it brings. Now, I still practice alongside great physicians in a state-of-the-art facility, but in an environment that allows me to have a life outside the practice.
Best of all, even though I'm a civilian, I receive excellent federal beneﬁts.”
Dr. Frank R
Evans Army Community Hospital
Fort Carson, CO.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert