The Miami VA Healthcare System, is seeking an enthusiastic physician leader to become the Service Chief/Director of its nationally/internationally renowned Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (GRECC).
This position will in assist in leading the Healthcare System in fulfilling its mission as a leader in Veteran's health care. The position will report to the Chief of Staff.
The position is located at the Miami VA Healthcare System, Miami, Florida. The mission of the Miami GRECC is to improve the care of the older Veteran with or at-high-risk of age-comorbidities through integrated research, education and the development of innovative clinical models. The Miami GRECC has advanced its "Healthy Bones - Healthy Body" longstanding translational research: a) working in the clinical context of bone and joint disease, prostate cancer, diabetes, and other metabolic disorders; b) moving to patient aligned care teams (PACT), comparative effectiveness, clinical decision support for aging veteran and South Florida older adults. An emerging focus area is prevention and management of diabetes.
The Miami GRECC Director will be responsible for the overall operations and management of all Miami GRECC programs. The GRECC Director will provide strategic leadership to foster continued growth of the GRECC's research, education, and clinical innovations programs, develop strong working relationships with research and clinical Service Line leaders, and foster and strengthen ties with the University of Miami and other academic institutions in the Healthy Aging Regional Collaborative. They will ensure close alignment with the medical center operations and the VA Sunshine Network (consisting of most VA facilities in Florida and all in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean). Further, the GRECC director will coordinate innovative educational endeavors whereby the research and clinical innovations of the GRECC can be shared broadly and impact regional and national VA care delivery for older Veterans.
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (GRECC) duties include but limited to:
- Responsible for the overall operations and performance of the GRECC;
- Articulates and promotes the vision, mission, and goals of the program;
- Advocates for resources (including space, personnel, supplies, equipment, and travel support) on behalf of the GRECC;
- Serves as ex officio member of the GRECC Advisory Committee;
- Represents, or delegates the authority to represent, the GRECC on suitable committees, boards, and councils of the VA and Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN), and to the Office of Geriatrics and Extended Care;
- Ensures that all GRECC AD and the AO work collaboratively in the annual development and evaluation of the GRECC's goals and objectives;
- Initiates all necessary personnel actions concerning GRECC Core Staff, including hiring, promotion, evaluation, recognition, counseling, reprimand, discipline and termination;
- Establishes with the host facility Director or the VISN Director, or designee, the GRECC performance plan and reviews the plan with that individual at least annually.
Preferred Experience: The best qualified candidate will be an established and successful physician researcher who will qualify for an academic appointment at the University of Miami at the Associate or Full Professor Level. The ideal candidate will be a flexible "big picture" thinker who possesses excellent interpersonal skills and is able to lead and work with groups. In addition, the ideal candidate will have current research grant support, administrative and leadership experience, and a track record of mentoring junior faculty.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Board Certified/Eligible. Board Certified in Geriatric Medicine is highly preferred
- Must have full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in ANY U.S. State.
Paid Time Off:
- 26 Days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave
- 13 Days paid sick leave each year with no limit on accumulation
- 11 paid Federal holidays per year
- 5 Days paid absence to attend approved CME courses
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA) Lifetime Healthcare Insurance options available
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits; 2) FERS-RAE basic benefits (pension); and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- How is the pension funded? VA employees automatically contribute 4.4% of their salary each pay period and the VA contributes 8.3% of the employee s salary each pay period for a total annual contribution percentage equal to 12.7% of the employee s salary
- Similar to the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service. For calendar year 2015, employees under the age of 50 may contribute up to $18,000, while those over age 50 are eligible to make catch-up contributions that allow them to defer up to $24,000.
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years service
Community, Facility and Organization
The Miami VA Healthcare System serves Veterans in three South Florida counties: Miami-Dade, Broward, and Monroe, with an estimated veteran population of 285,000. Our parent facility The Bruce W. Carter Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center is located on 26.3 acres with an attached four-story Nursing Home. The Medical Center opened in 1968. It provides general medical, surgical, and psychiatric services.
Please send applications (curriculum vitae and letter of interest) via email to: Michael Naccarato, National Healthcare Recruitment Consultant: email@example.com or call 602-277-5551 ext. 3526