The Wayne State University School of Medicine (WSU SOM) Department of Internal Medicine, is seeking a Chief for the Division of Gastroenterology (GI) at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor. The GI program is a collaborative effort between WSU SOM and Wayne Health. As a member of Wayne Health, the physician will participate in the clinical activities of the division. As a faculty member of WSU SOM, the successful candidate will join the Department of Internal Medicine leadership team and be responsible for the following:
- Working to actively promote the GI Division as a dynamic leader in clinical care and continuing medical education through programs that maximize exposure of our exceptional programs, faculty and expertise;
- Teaching and mentoring medical students, residents and GI fellows;
- Recruiting new and energizing/retaining existing high caliber faculty, staff, and trainees in a manner consistent with the GI Division s core mission of education, research and clinical care;
- Mentoring and serving as a role model to all colleagues, including those whose race, ethnicity and gender are underrepresented in the medical profession;
- Developing and implementing innovative mentoring and career development plans for all new hires and current faculty, toward development and growth of a regional and national research and clinical reputation;
- Developing a plan for allocation of new resources for hypothesis-driven research that fosters understanding of the pathogenesis and treatment of gastroenterologic and hepatic diseases, and that leads to the acquisition of substantive extramural
- Demonstrating a firm commitment to fiscally sound management and prudent allocation of available resources; establishing and monitoring appropriate accountabilities for faculty, staff and trainees;
- Providing responsible fiscal stewardship along with the Chair of the Department of Internal Medicine, and proactively seeking entrepreneurial opportunities for the division;
- Other duties as
Wayne State University (WSU) is a premier, public, urban research university located in the heart of Detroit where students from all backgrounds are offered a rich, high quality education. Our deep-rooted commitment to excellence, collaboration, integrity, and diversity, equity, and inclusion creates exceptional educational opportunities, preparing students for success in a
diverse, global society. WSU encourages applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups. WSU is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
A salary commensurate with experience, as well as a competitive benefits package, will be offered.
We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse program and passionate about improving health equity and justice in medicine for our patient population. Our interview will include questions relevant to this, so we request that you write and submit one to two paragraphs illustrating your commitment to these principles.
Interested applicants should apply on-line at https://jobs.wayne.edu, Posting 045335. Please upload a cover letter and curriculum vitae addressed to Dr. M. Safwan Badr, Professor and Chair, WSU SOM Department of Internal Medicine, outlining areas of interest.