Baylor University Medical Center (BUMC) in Dallas, Texas, as part of Baylor Scott and White Health (BSWH), the largest healthcare provider in the State of Texas, is seeking a transformational, visionary, and collaborative leader with a strong clinical and academic foundation as the Chief of Internal Medicine.
Summary of the Position
The BUMC Chief of Internal Medicine will develop a vision for the Department of Internal Medicine through the advancement of clinical programs, education and research. He/she will guide the transformation of care delivery in all areas of internal medicine and enhance the integration of care between departments on behalf of all patients we serve, simultaneously promoting exemplary outcome performance in nationally recognized domains and under the perpetual goal of Zero Harm.
The successful candidate will also possess a modern leadership acumen that allows him/her to transcend expected and unexpected boundaries, to forge alliances throughout the organization and beyond, and to maintain a desire for continual process improvement.
Further, this person will be an outstanding mentor to peers and learners alike and skilled in the development of relationships, working well with multiple partners across the clinical setting and leadership of BUMC in order to deliver preeminent multifaceted service line.
The Chief will report to the President and the Chief Medical Officer of BUMC.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
It is expected that all of the major responsibilities outlined below will be carried out in a manner that reflects the mission, vision and values of BUMC.
- Translate organizational strategy to a departmental vision into exemplary programs to achieve a top-tier, nationally ranked department
- Provide strategic direction and leadership for the department in its clinical, academic, research and administrative missions
- Form strong collaborative partnerships with Administrative, Medical, and Nursing departments to lead positive change and promote a culture where "quality of care" (i.e., clinical outcomes, patient satisfaction, and patient safety) are priorities within the department
- Oversee accreditation and regulatory management activities
- Represent BUMC on national committees and editorial boards as appropriate
- Provide strategic input and oversee departmental recruitment efforts to secure talent with both inherent and acquired diversity
- Communicate performance, service standards and expectations to department staff. Hold staff accountable by monitoring performance, establishing development plans, and providing individual mentoring and counseling as necessary
- Establish an atmosphere of positive, supportive physician and employee relations. Lead by example and teach others to create a mutually respectful, courteous and compassionate atmosphere
- Serve as a physician champion and leader for the provision of the highest quality health care and clinical performance excellence
- Promote a culture where "quality of care" (i.e., clinical outcomes, patient satisfaction, and patient safety) are priorities within the department. Oversee quality improvement projects and committees to foster a culture of Zero Harm and continuous improvement
- Support clinical and translational research that advances the clinical and educational objectives of Baylor Scott & White Health
- Participate in development activities for extramural funding of research and endowment
- Continue developing residency and fellowship training programs and be personally involved and engaged with medical residents and fellows
- Perform other appropriate duties as required in a competent, professional and courteous manner
- Promoting a department dedicated to expanding inherent and acquired diversity
- Have or be able to obtain an unrestricted Texas medical license
- Certified by the appropriate certifying board in an internal medicine field and have at least 5 years or more of academic practice and leadership experience
- Qualified for faculty appointment in the Department at the rank of Professor or Associate Professor
- National recognition as a clinical leader, clinician scientist, and/or educator
- Experience in operational and financial management and leadership in a hospital, academic healthcare center, or academic group practice environment. Additional training in management or administration is preferred. Experience in medical staff functions is essential as is working knowledge of hospital operations, quality improvement, lean processes, and strategic planning
- Strong leadership as well as organizational and communication skills needed to effectively operate in the complex environment of an integrated health system, and to effectively manage conflicting agendas
- Ability to define a vision and execute it; should be a visionary who sees potential and opportunity
- Experience in facilitating and coordinating physician alignment activities, including building relationships with both community and academic physicians
- Knowledge of and experience developing quality infrastructure, including development and implementation of decision tools, clinical protocols and guidelines, care management programs, and outcome measurement assessments
- Record of success in mentoring and developing faculty and supporting them in their academic, teaching and clinical endeavors
- A charismatic leader, who demonstrates effective interpersonal and persuasive skills, to be applied toward building relationships. An effective communicator with emphasis on listening
- The ability to develop a sense of community and commonality amongst a diverse population of providers
- A strategic visionary and builder, a facilitator who is a catalyst for change and can bring and hold disparate groups together
- High visibility throughout the organization with an approachable, personable, optimistic demeanor
- A team player who effectively uses a collaborative and participative style. Someone who achieves results through relationships and not leverage
- Advise in the Internal Medicine residency program and the various Internal Medicine subspecialty training programs.
BSWH is the largest not-for-profit health care system in the State of Texas and one of the largest in the United States. Serving a large and diverse population across North and Central Texas, BSWH has the vision and resources to provide its patients continued quality care while creating a model system for a dramatically changing health care environment. The BSWH system includes 47 hospitals, more than 900 access points, over 6,600 physicians and 43,500 employees, plus a state certified Health Maintenance Organization, the Scott and White Health Plan (Health Plan), and Baylor Quality Health Care Alliance LLC (BSWQA) – a high performing network of clinical providers and facilities focused on improving quality, managing the health of patient populations, and reducing the overall cost of care.
BSWH includes a robust spectrum of owned, operated, ventured and affiliated hospitals; satellite outpatient clinics; free standing ambulatory surgery centers; free standing emergency medical centers; free standing imaging centers; numerous retail pharmacies; and geographically dispersed physician’s clinics in the BUMC and the CTX.
Mission, Vision and Values
Our Mission: Why we exist
Founded as a Christian ministry of healing, Baylor Scott & White Health promotes the well-being of all individuals, families and communities.
Our Ambition: What we aspire to be
To be the trusted leader, educator and innovator in value-based care delivery, customer experience and affordability.
Our Values: How we behave
We serve faithfully
We act honestly
We never settle
We are in it together
Our Strategies: Keys to achieving our Ambition
Health – Provide seamless and exceptional quality care by transforming into one high-performing team
Experience – Create customers for life; driving loyalty by empowering consumers and delivering on the brand promise
Affordability – Reduce the financial burden on our customers and invest in Our Core by relentlessly driving down the total cost of care
Alignment – Ensure consistent results through a streamlined team approach and unified operating and clinical models
Growth – Create value for those we serve through the pursuit of sustainable growth initiatives
Procedure for Candidacy
Nominations and applications, including a CV and letter of interest, can be sent in confidence to Shannon Smith at Shannon.Smith2@bswhealth.org.
Baylor Scott & White Health is an equal opportunity employer.