Chief of Anesthesiology opportunity with the Albany, NY Veterans Affairs Medical Center
This position is located in the Anesthesiology Service, Albany Stratton VA Medical Center, Albany, New York. The successful candidate for this important leadership position is responsible for overseeing a group of Anesthesiology physicians who provide a broad range of anesthesiology interventions to Veterans with complex disease and comorbidities, within a patient centric model.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Primary responsibility for supervising other anesthesiologists in the Service.
- Assures that preoperative assessment, intraoperative anesthetic administration and monitoring, and post-anesthesia care of patients in both outpatient and inpatient settings are smooth, patient centric and safe. This includes but is not limited to, collaboration and good communication with the Emergency Department, Subspecialty Services and/or Clinics admitting patients to the hospital.
- Supervises all operational aspects of the Anesthesia Service, including establishment of the highest clinical care standards, operations, and quality; as well as daily functioning of the OR suite and endoscopy suites in order to maintain efficient and cost-effective provision of services while maintaining a high standard of patient care.
- Develops strong, collegial working relationships with other leaders within the medical center (both clinical and administrative), and with other section heads within the Department of Surgery and other service Chiefs/section heads. Working with these individuals and the members of the Department of Surgery, the Chief Anesthesiologist will develop a vision and strategic plan for the Anesthesiology Service.
- Oversees the development and implementation of systems redesigns projects, quality improvements and assurance programs of inpatient services.
- Champion initiatives designed to improve overall quality through the use of evidence-based medicine and peer review.
-Interested or know someone that may be interested? Contact: Kenneth.firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to Albany! Located about 150 miles north of New York City on the west bank of the Hudson River, Albany serves as the capital of New York state and a midway point between the Hudson Valley to the south and the Adirondack Mountains to the north. Locally, Albany is known as the Tri-City Area. The region includes the smaller metro areas of Troy and Schenectady, which are historically more industrial.
Albany can be a transient region, with the working population shifting every time a new governor takes office. Yet throughout years of administrative changes, Albany has maintained a lively downtown that serves as both a commercial and cultural center. The region doesn't have the crowds or costs of a major metro area, and Albany has an old-world appeal to it. There are rows of colorfully painted, turn-of-the-century brownstones, the historic state capitol building and the iconic Empire State Plaza.
With New York state's Finger Lakes wine region to the west and Massachusetts' Berkshire Mountains to the east, the region is a springboard for foodies and outdoor enthusiasts alike. (US News profile written by Katrina Woznicki)
Working for the Department of Veteran Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part:
- 50 days paid time off annually including; 26 days paid vacation, 13 days of sick leave, 11 paid holidays and 5 Days paid absence to attend approved CME courses (subject to budget availability)
- on average federal government pays 75% of your premium on your health care insurance
- possible annual performance bonus of 7.5% up to a max $15,000 annually
- VA contributes 9.6% of your salary toward federal retirement
- No malpractice insurance as you are covered by the federal tort law
- up to 5% matching funds on your 401(k)
Health and Retirement: https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/fers-information/
About the VA
Department of Veterans Affairs offers Veterans the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the United States. We operate more than 1,400 sites of care, including 153 medical centers, 909 ambulatory and community-based outpatient clinics, 135 nursing homes, 232 Veterans centers, 47 readjustment counseling centers, and 108 comprehensive home-care programs, across all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. Territories. Learn more at:
If interested in learning more information about this position please email an updated CV to: