The Home-Based Primary Care (HBPC) Team Physician is assigned to HBPC in the Geriatrics, Palliative, and Extended Care Service line. The HBPC Team Physician provides consultative services to interprofessional staff providing in-home longitudinal interprofessional primary care to veterans (often older adults) with complex chronic diseases who cannot be effectively managed through routine clinic-based care. This 0.5 FTE position is part of the Oakland, CA HBPC team and includes administrative and patient care duties for 60-80 patients.
The HBPC Team Physician is expected to be a Geriatrics medicine expert with knowledge and practice in geriatric medicine, transitions of care, and healthcare systems navigation. Specific responsibilities include provision of in-home primary care through an interprofessional team-based model, attending weekly in-person team meetings, serving as the collaborative physician for advance practice nurse primary care providers, and serving as back-up for HBPC primary care providers as needed. As a collaborating physician to the interprofessional team, the HBPC Team Physician provides assistance and consultation utilizing geriatrics principles. Consultation topics include, but are not limited to applying geriatrics principles to the care of older veterans, participating in the development of individual plans of care during interdisciplinary team meetings, determining the need for other subspecialty services, determining the need for and assisting in facilitating transitions of care, providing medical administrative support such as signing orders and forms, participating in HBPC committees and quality improvement projects, and being readily available by phone or in person for team members for collaboration when clinical or program issues arise. Opportunities can be made for teaching.
- Medical license or ability to become license in the State of California
- Graduate of accredited MD or DO program
- Board Certification/Board Eligibility in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine
- Board Certification/Board Eligibility in Geriatric Medicine preferred
- Competitive pay based on training, experience, and local labor market
- Annual performance bonus up to an additional $15K per year
- Guaranteed salary increases
- Licensure: 1 full & unrestricted active U.S. license
- CME: $1,000/year and 5 days of paid absences for CME courses
- Malpractice: VHA physicians are covered under federal tort laws
- No employment contracts, noncompete clauses, or restrictive covenants
- 26 days paid vacation; 13 days paid sick time; 11 paid federal holidays; 15 days military
- Federal Retirement Plan
- Separate 401K with partial agency match
- Health Insurance (Dental & Vision supplemental insurance available)
- Life Insurance
- Nationwide Mobility – Relocate without loss of benefits, vacation, or pay
- Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP),a student loan payment reimbursement program up to $200,000
As required by Executive Order 14043, Federal employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before your start date. The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required exception from this requirement using the reasonable accommodation process.
To Explore This Physician Opportunity Further
Please forward copy of your Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae to Jason Tafoya VA Healthcare Recruitment Consultant @ Jason.Tafoya@va.gov or call/text (925) 270-6574