Associate Program Director, Internal Medicine Residency Program
VinUniversity – Hanoi, Vietnam
University of Pennsylvania, Perelman School of Medicine
The Center for Global Health at the Perelman School of Medicine seeks candidates to serve as the Associate Program Director (APD) for the Internal Medicine Residency Program at VinUniversity in Hanoi, Vietnam.
The position is based full-time in Hanoi, however brief rotations for clinical service at the University of Pennsylvania can occur if desired.
The primary responsibility of the APD is to assist the Program Director with the curricular, academic, and program management aspects of the Internal Medicine (IM) residency program. The IM residency program at VinUniversity recruited its inaugural class in October 2020 along with residencies in General Surgery and Pediatrics. The GME programs are a fundamental component of VinUniversity and supported by partnerships with the Perelman School of Medicine and Vinmec Health System. The APD will report to the Program Director of the Internal Medicine residency program and interface with senior leaders at the Perelman School of Medicine, VinUniversity, and Vinmec Health System. Responsibilities include curriculum delivery, clinical teaching and supervision in ambulatory and inpatient settings, resident assessment and evaluation, resident coaching and mentoring, management of resident schedules, residency recruitment, participation in faculty development programs for local faculty, and clinical service roles at the Vinmec International Hospital Times City.
Applicants must hold an M.D degree with a current license to practice medicine in the US. Residency training at a US-based medical institution in internal medicine and board eligibility/certification in the same is required. The employment contract resides within the Center for Global Health at the Perelman School of Medicine with full university benefits. Candidates will be eligible for associated faculty positions at the University of Pennsylvania and at VinUniversity depending on qualifications.
A description of the Penn Alliance in Vietnam may be found at:
The specific job responsibilities of the APD include:
- Work closely with the Perelman School of Medicine and VinUniversity College of Health Sciences (VU-CHS) education teams on all aspects of the ongoing development and implementation of the Internal Medicine residency program.
- Assist with the implementation of the curriculum for the IM residency program at VU-CHS/Vinmec Times City International Hospital and other training sites.
- Manage resident schedules including teaching conference schedules and call schedules.
- Assist program leadership with teaching and learning priorities such as competency-based education, resident centered learning, and assessment of clinical faculty.
- Promote the development of teaching and learning practices in the clinical learning environment that ensure integration of graduate attributes and competency standards across the program.
- Assist with the development of local faculty as medical educators.
- Assist with assessment and evaluation activities for the IM residency program including data management oversight, Clinical Competency Committee (CCC) participation, and grade reporting to the VinUniversity registrar.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to VinUniversity clinical faculty, residents, and students within area of expertise.
- Assist with the recruitment and admissions process for the IM residency program including PR-Marketing activities to attract applicants, applicant reviews, interviews, and residency selection.
- Assist with the preparation of the residency program for ACGME-I foundational accreditation.
- Assist with the coordination between VU-CHS and Vinmec Hospital in managing relationships with public hospital partner sites in Hanoi.
- Provide clinical supervision as well as precept residents in the ambulatory and inpatient hospital settings.
- Participate in direct patient care at Vinmec Times City International Hospital (pending medical licensure and approval by the Vietnam Ministry of Health).
- Serve on select science/technology/educational and professional committees of VU-CHS/Vinmec Hospital as assigned.
We seek candidates who embrace and reflect diversity in the broadest sense. The University of Pennsylvania is an EOE. Minorities/women/individuals with disabilities/protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
For more information/if interested in the position please send your CV and cover letter to: