Moores Cancer Center, Director
University of California San Diego Health
Open date: January 24th, 2022
Next review date: Tuesday, Mar 1, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Tuesday, Jan 24, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
UC San Diego Health Sciences and the Moores Cancer Center are committed to academic, scientific, and clinical excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body. UC San Diego Health Sciences is one of three academic units at UC San Diego. Health Sciences includes three professional schools (medicine, pharmacy, and public health); more than 30 research institutes; and a growing clinical practice that includes two hospitals, all working toward fulfilling the Health Sciences' tripartite mission. Led by the Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences, it accounts for the majority of the University's research and philanthropic portfolios and serves as the top healthcare system in the San Diego region. Health Sciences has more than 1,700 faculty members, 900 residents and fellows, 800 medicine and pharmacy students, 1,500 graduate students, and 1,000 undergraduate public health majors. Its academic programs rank among the best in the country for primary care and research.
Established in 1978, Moores Cancer Center is one of only 51 comprehensive cancer centers in the United States and the region's only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. Moores Cancer Center is a consortium cancer center bringing together the expertise of the schools and institutes of UC San Diego, San Diego State University, and the La Jolla Institute of Immunology. Over 250 researchers in five mechanism-based research programs work with the community to decrease cancer's burden on the diverse San Diego County population.
UC San Diego Health is ranked No. 1 in San Diego and No. 17 nationally for cancer care by U.S. News & World Report in 2021. The physicians at UC San Diego Health not only provide personalized care with better outcomes, they also set treatment standards nationwide for more than 200 types of cancer, access to transformative clinical trials, advanced supportive care, and quality metrics.
Moores Cancer Center blends cancer research and patient care to transform cancer prevention, detection, care, and public policy. From basic research in genomics, oncogenic states, and cancer network maps to the most advanced treatments, including engineered NK cell therapy, Moores Cancer Center is at the forefront in developing promising new therapies, identifying biomarkers that influence cancer treatments, and discovering pre cancer markers to prevent the cancer's inception. These bench-to-bedside innovations, facilitated by a collaborative clinical trials office and mature industry relationships, offer more than 300 interventional treatment trials to both pediatric and adult patients.
UC San Diego seeks in its next Moores Cancer Center Director an inspirational scientific leader with a deep research background and proven administrative experience to work closely with faculty, staff, and administrators within Moores Cancer Center and beyond, fostering excellence in research and discovery, patient care and outcomes, and community outreach and service. The Director will work closely with a broad community of stakeholders to envision and achieve Moores Cancer Center's strategic goals. The Director will have a high level of integrity and professionalism, and a commitment to support the professional development of faculty and staff.
The Director leads the Moores Cancer Center, providing overall strategic and intellectual direction for the Center's research programs, administrative structure, and multidisciplinary clinical service line. The Director serves as the Principal Investigator for the NCI-sponsored Cancer Center Support Grant (CCSG).
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences as Director of the NCI designated comprehensive cancer center, with secondary reporting to the CEO of UC San Diego Health for clinical activities, the Director partners with academic and clinical leaders to guide cancer research and care in the Health Sciences, and provides advice and counsel to campus- and University-level committees, as appropriate. The Director chairs the Moores Cancer Center Executive Committee, which is charged with developing and implementing plans that foster multidisciplinary cancer care to patients and advancing collaborative cancer-focused clinical research, and the Center's Senior Leaders Committee, a scientific council comprising Associate Directors, Programs Leaders, and Shared Resources Directors.
The Director manages the day-to-day operations of the Moores Cancer Center, including its scientific and education programs, and, in collaboration with the MCC physician-in-chief, the clinical programs. The Director oversees more than 550,000 square feet of research and clinical space, including authority over space assignments in the 290,000-square-foot Moores Cancer Center building.
As a consortium cancer center, the Director is responsible for managing agreements, ensuring appropriate oversight, and including partner institutions (e.g. La Jolla Institute for Immunology and San Diego State University) in all relevant activities and programs.
- Sets the overarching vision for the Moores Cancer Center to increase its leadership in cancer research and patient care.
- Leads long-range strategic planning efforts, including implementation and evaluation processes, in alignment with UC San Diego Health Sciences tripartite mission.
- Identifies areas of strategic investment that advance the Center's strengths in research discovery and novel therapeutics.
- Establishes partnerships with key external academic, research, and clinical organizations, both locally and nationally, to expand the Moores Cancer Center brand.
- Leads efforts to launch new programs and/or initiatives to advance UC San Diego Health Sciences' national and international prominence in education, research, and clinical care.
- Identifies areas of synergy between the Center and campus units that would foster academic excellence, scientific creativity, and clinical quality.
- Serves as the chief administrative officer for the Moores Cancer Center, allocating the appropriate resources to create an effective and efficient business model.
- Partners with academic and clinical leaders across the Health Sciences and UC San Diego campus to implement new programs, coordinate and evaluate clinical outcomes, and establish value-based oncology services.
- In partnership with the Moores Cancer Center Physician-in-Chief, fosters innovative clinical methodologies and opportunities across multidisciplinary service lines.
- Serves as primary fundraiser for Moores Cancer Center, building relationships with the philanthropic community and working with the Office of Advancement team to secure gifts toward cancer education, research, and/or clinical care.
- Maintains overall accountability for the development, management and adherence of the Cancer Center budget to ensure organizational fiscal standards and expectations are met.
- Identifies gaps in faculty expertise and facilitates recruitment of talent on behalf of the Cancer Center.
- Associate Cancer Center Directors:
- Basic Science
- Clinical Science
- Community Outreach and Engagement
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Education and Training
- Population Science
- Shared Resources
- Translational Science
- Chair the MCC Executive Committee and MCC Senior Leaders Committee.
- Participate as a member of key Health System committees, including the Board of Governors and the UC San Diego Heath Executive Governing Board.
- Serves on the Steering Committee of the University of California Cancer Consortium and the San Diego Cancer Centers Council.
- Participates in the Council of Health Sciences Deans and Chairs.
- Represents UC San Diego locally, nationally, and internationally to the National Cancer Institute and cancer associations and organizations, as appropriate.
Senior administrative positions at UC San Diego Health Sciences are considered at-will. This position will have annual performance reviews with a formal committee review every fifth year. (This review will align with the CCSG renewal.)
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on University of California pay scales. Review of applications will commence in spring 2022, and continue until the position is filled.
A link to full descriptions of each series is provided for your review:
Ladder Rank Professor - see: http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/apm/apm-220.pdf
In-Residence Professor - see: http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/apm/apm-270.pdf
As a member of the Health Sciences Compensation Plan, the appointee should be aware that there are limitations on outside professional activities and clinical moonlighting is expressly prohibited. Additional information can be found here: https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/apm/apm-671.pdf
Qualifications Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
- Demonstrated dynamic leadership skills with a high level of conceptual and strategic thinking.
- Personal record of distinguished cancer research (basic, translational, and/or clinical) and NCI funding such that the candidate qualifies for appointment as a Full Professor at UC San Diego.
- Terminal degree (MD, PhD, PharmD, DrPH, etc. in health related fields).
- Candidates with an MD must have or be eligible for a California medical license as determined by the Medical Board of California.
Candidates must have a broad set of important skills to be successful as Director. While no one person will possess them all, the successful candidate will embody many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- Outstanding academic record with experience as a senior administrator in an academic medical center environment.
- Demonstrated success in managing and leading a complex organization undergoing significant and persistent change, with the ability to innovate and generate new ideas.
- Demonstrated success in enhancing the research agenda of an academic unit or program, in responding to faculty needs and building environments that enhance research innovation, and in building programs and environments that enhance research productivity.
- Demonstrated interest, ability and proven success in generating external funding, including private fundraising for the Cancer Center.
- Demonstrated ability to build a sense of community and to actively engage faculty, staff, students, and alumni in support of a shared strategic vision.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills; the ability to listen attentively to varied perspectives and foster a supportive and collaborative working environment.
- A collegial, consultative management style, with the ability to be strong and decisive while also taking into account the needs and perspectives of faculty, staff, and students. The ability to collaborate and to delegate along with the ability to make difficult and timely decisions based on well-considered input.
- A history of fostering career development for early and mid-stage faculty across multiple disciplines.
- The ability to represent the Cancer Center and UC San Diego effectively; to build strong relationships with internal and external constituents, to be an effective advocate for the Cancer Center and the advancement of the profession.
- Demonstrated commitment to contributing to diversity, equity, and inclusion, as well as a commitment to advancing these principles within the School.
Application Requirements Document requirements
Apply link: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/JPF03102
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our Faculty Equity site for more information.
Authorization to Release Form - Applicants must complete, sign and upload this form. See Institutional Reference Check (https://aps.ucsd.edu/recruitment/background_check/) for more information.
COVID-19 Impact Statement - We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic may have had a substantial impact on academic productivity. In our academic hiring processes, we will be keeping this in mind as we consider achievement relative to opportunity. We encourage you to reflect on constraints on opportunity in your field that were caused by the events of the pandemic and where applicable, to discuss your achievements in this light.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
Help contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of California, San Diego is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, covered veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. For new University of California employees, the applicable deadline is eight weeks after their first date of employment.
The University of California prohibits smoking and tobacco use at all University controlled properties.
The UC San Diego Annual Security & Fire Safety Report is available online at: https://www.police.ucsd.edu/docs/annualclery.pdf. This report provides crime and fire statistics, as well as institutional policy statement & procedures. Contact the UC San Diego Police Department at (858) 534-4361 if you want to obtain paper copies of this report.
To apply, please visit: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/JPF03102
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency