Saint Joseph Mercy Health System (SJMHS) and Warde Medical Laboratory have an outstanding full-time employment opportunity for an experienced and Board Certified Pathology physician to serve as the Medical Director for Warde Laboratory located in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
The Medical Director of the Clinical Reference Laboratory is responsible for the leadership and direction of the laboratory within Federal and State Regulations governing clinical laboratories. The Medical Director will be engaged in all functions of the Reference Laboratory serving as a consultant and resource for operations, quality, development, and client support teams.
The scope of testing performed at Warde Medical Laboratory includes molecular virology, toxicology, flow cytometry, and immunology. The Medical Director role at Warde will provide administrative and professional services.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Clinical directorship role as defined under CLIA, with delegation of duties in the areas highlighted by the attached statement of delegations.
- Non-delegated duties included review and approval of validation, PT, QA/QC documents provided by department managers.
- The director needs to hold, or be eligible for holding, the certificate of qualification (CQ) for NY in all categories of testing covered by the Warde in house test menu except forensic toxicology. (Please refer to the current CQ for the specific categories).
- The medical director serves as an ex-officio non-voting member on the cotenancy administrative committee and assists with management reporting to the committee on quality, utilization, and research and development efforts.
- The medical director participates and may at times lead laboratory initiatives to improve quality and service. The position participates in internal meetings.
- The director represents Warde Lab to providers by responding to providers’ questions on the quality and clinical interpretation of tests performed by Warde or partnering reference labs.
- The medical director collaborates with Warde’s management on adding or eliminating on-site testing services to match evolving clinical needs. The position also leads utilization management and review of on-site and send out tests.
- The director also currently serves as the scientific director overseeing test development and validation in the flow cytometry and immunology areas.
- The director should be qualified to sign out flow cytometry cases (interpretation of leukemia/lymphoma immunophenotyping and PNH assays).
- The position is integral to Warde’s future growth and success by providing specific expertise in mid-level esoteric testing and reference lab work. The benefit of contracting this position to a pathology group vs. independent contracting is in a group’s ability to provide a breadth of coverage and expertise in more than one specialty area.
- Hematopathology expertise is needed for flow cytometry support, or that function for signing out flow cytometry cases should be contracted separately.
- Medical director currently reviews abnormal protein electrophoresis, immunofixation, and hemoglobinopathy evaluation results prior to release, but this could be delegated to other staff depending on eventual director’s interest and expertise.
- Warde has potential need for scientific and clinical support in endocrinology, molecular oncology, and some infectious disease testing.
- The director should maintain involvement with professional societies and build excellent relationships with clinical leadership at provider health systems and partner reference labs.
- The position has high impact on Warde’s culture of service and integrity, as well as excellence in quality.
- Collaborative leadership style and the ability to engage teams in a collaborative environment.
Requirements for this opportunity include:
- MD with Board Certification in Clinical Pathology; Hematopathology or Immunology training and expertise preferred. Will also consider other Pathology sub-specialty training.
- Experience in leadership oversight of a clinical laboratory (minimum of five years); experience in reference lab testing preferred.
- Must qualify for and be able to maintain a Certificate of Qualification (CQ) from the New York State Department of Health Wadsworth Center Clinical Evaluation Program covering all areas of testing within the laboratory
- Ability to obtain a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of Michigan is required.
SJMHS and Warde offer a nationally competitive salary with a comprehensive benefit package including Health, Dental, Vision, Paid CME, & PTO, Malpractice, Disability, and Relocation Allowance.
ABOUT THE FACILITY
Saint Joseph Mercy Health System (SJMHS) is a health care organization serving seven counties in southeast Michigan including Livingston, Washtenaw, Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Jackson, and Lenawee. It includes 548-bed St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor, 497-bed St. Joseph Mercy Oakland in Pontiac, 304-bed St. Mary Mercy Livonia, 66-bed St. Joseph Mercy Livingston in Howell, and 133-bed St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea.
SJMSH is a member of Trinity Health, a leading Catholic health care system based in Livonia, Michigan.
Warde Medical Laboratory is a national nonprofit reference laboratory that specializes in mid-level esoteric clinical testing. Located in Ann Arbor, Michigan the laboratory provides services to more than 40 health systems in 22 states.
We are driven to add value to patient care and the health of our communities. We empower providers and patients to improve health through high quality laboratory results in an efficient operational model. We are a CAP-accredited and CLIA-certified facility performing high complexity testing. Our operational model allows us to perform laboratory testing in a cost-effective way, adding value to your laboratory testing cost management strategies. Our team of highly trained laboratory professionals is led by clinical scientists and internationally recognized pathologists.
Ann Arbor, Michigan offers a bustling downtown and charming tree-lined neighborhoods making it a safe and ideal place to live, learn, work, and raise a family. More than 114,000 residents live within the City’s 28 square miles and Ann Arbor is a hub for excellence in education, boasting five colleges and universities. The City’s acclaimed public school system has adapted a comprehensive academic achievement plan to help ensure all students are successful.
People are drawn to Ann Arbor for its eclectic urban setting and its acres of parks and trees. The cosmopolitan college town boasts fine to casual dining and world class shopping. Action packed sporting events come courtesy of the University of Michigan. Cultural experiences including museums, galleries, and a performing arts center make Ann Arbor a destination for art aficionados of any age. Endless opportunities for recreation are available in Ann Arbor, which operates 157 parks, trails, golf, canoe liveries, tennis courts, athletic fields and more. One of the most environmentally friendly cities around, Ann Arbor has a progressive recycling program and takes great measures toward the preservation of the City’s green space.
For more information about Ann Arbor, Michigan visit www.annar