Family Physician / Sports Medicine
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Provides clinical services for students, faculty/staff and families eligible for health care; provides episodic health care in conjunction with a program of comprehensive primary care; provides programs of health education. Works under the direct supervision of the Medical Director of University Health Services (UHS) in accordance with the regulations of the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine. This position includes shared Team Physician duties for varsity sports coverage.The position is based at the University of Massachusetts, University Health Services in Amherst, MA.
Functions independently within the broad scope of departmental and institutional policies and goals; refers exceptions to the Medical Director of UHS for Medical Care.
- Provide clinical services to outpatients during regular clinic day and evening hours. Responsible for timely entry in medical records and appropriate referral to other providers. Performs procedures appropriate to training. Orders medications including controlled substances.
- Maintains a program of continuing medical education as required by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine and includes annual CPR review.
- Participates in scheduled staff meetings, committees, and quality improvement activities.
- Coordinates a major program activity as assigned by the Medical Director of UHS, such as walk-in clinic, occupational health, sports medicine.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of department and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a multi-cultural environment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- M.D. or D.O. degree and licensure for the practice of medicine in Massachusetts or licensed in another state with Massachusetts licensure at time of appointment
- Three years of residency training and Board eligibility or certification in adult primary care specialty.
- Interest in sports medicine. Fellowship training in sports medicine desirable.
- Qualified for a local hospital staffing privilege, either as a courtesy or active staff member
- Registration as a controlled substance practitioner in Massachusetts and with the FDA at time of appointment
- Insurable by the Massachusetts Medical Professional Insurance Association or equivalent insurer.
- CAQ/Fellowship in Sports Medicine and skill in musculoskeletal ultrasound preferred.
40 hours per week, rotation of some weekend and evening hours. Regular weekday hours during academic year (open until 8 pm), and share call and weekend clinic hours in rotation with ten other physicians. No hospital responsibilities.
Salary and Benefit Information
Commensurate with skills and experience, plus excellent benefit package.
Faculty Sports Medicine Fellowship appointment with UMass Medical Center, Worcester, Massachusetts.
Special Instructions to Applicants
We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best talent on our team to meet the need of our diverse campus community which we serve. Multilingual, multicultural and multiracial applicants encouraged to apply.
Please complete online application, submit a cover letter, resume, the names and contact information of three professional references. The position will remain open until filled.
Candidates who are selected for an interview, will be asked to provide 3 written letters of recommendation.
Application Link – https://careers.umass.edu/amherst/en-us/job/511659/family-physician-sports-medicine
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
About University Health Services
University of Massachusetts University Health Services (UHS) is a dynamic clinical setting providing health care for students, faculty, staff and their dependents. UHS provides acute health care in conjunction with a program of comprehensive primary care. Most patients are between the ages of 18-25, though UHS also care for newborns and retired faculty. There are many opportunities for teaching, including undergraduates, medical students and residents. Provides function independently within the broad scope of departmental and institutional policies and goals, while working under the direct supervision of the Executive Director of UHS for Medical Care in accordance with the regulations of the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine.
Campus life is vibrant, with numerous opportunities to enjoy arts, entertainment and athletics. The Pioneer Valley has been recognized as one of the top locations in New England, as the 5 college region has numerous cultural, epicurean and recreational activities available.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.