Fahrenheit Advisors is assisting our government sector client in their search for District Directors in multiple Virginia locations. The positions will be based in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Rappahannock/Rapidan, Cumberland/Lenowisco and Alexandria.
- The Virginia Department of Health is seeking highly qualified candidates to serve as District Public Health Directors for the Cities of Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Rappahannock/Rapidan, Cumberland/Lenowisco, and Alexandria,Virginia.
- District Directors, although employees of the Virginia Department of Health, are vital participating members of local government leadership teams due to strong state government - local government partnerships.
- The District Directors direct all medical, nursing, environmental health, administrative, and other public health services for the local health districts.
- The District Directors utilize interdisciplinary staff with efforts directed toward community assessment and health education, program design, program evaluation, resource allocation, quality of patient care, environmental protection, and inter-agency organization of health-related activities.
- The District Directors serve as the community resource on communicable disease issues and health risk reduction.
- The District Directors may provide direct care in a clinic environment with examinations, diagnosis, treatment and prescribing medications.
- The District Directors demonstrate the ability to work with others in the district and throughout VDH to accomplish agency and district goals including local government leadership, grantors, partner medical agencies and affiliated private entities.
- The District Directors are skilled in all aspects of administering public health programs and directing a large and diverse organization in a dynamic environment.
- The District Directors may be required to perform other duties as assigned to include assisting state government, generally, in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
Qualification details and Ideal Candidate Profile:
- Must be Licensed in Virginia to practice medicine. Prefer MPH and board certification in preventive medicine or other relevant specialty.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public health and clinical medicine.
- Collaborative, visible community leaders with demonstrated ability to develop relationships and engage government entities, non-profits, and local community leaders to find innovative ways to better serve the community.
- Excellent communicators capable of reaching out to all citizens across barriers of politics, economics, race, religion, and ethnicity with the ability to speak to their individual needs in relatable terms.
- Individuals capable of understanding and managing the multiple functions of the department by prioritizing, delegating, and ensuring the responsiveness of all service areas.
- Individuals with the demonstrated ability to provide vision and direction for the department that is forward thinking, flexible in approach and able to provide growth and direction for the staff.
- Leaders who understand and can maneuver through the complexities of serving their districts including the politics and funding sources to provide services appropriately.
- Individuals who embrace the underserved populations personally and through staff inspiring trust and motivation for utilizing health services.
- Gifted and motivational communicators who welcome and make use of all available resources to reach the public including print, social media, speaking engagements and personal outreach.
- Passionate, committed leaders who are excited about public service and the potential of their district.
- Individuals comfortable interpreting data and using it, along with community input, as a roadmap to gain understanding and look for opportunities.
- Individuals with integrity and strong personal values, who align those values with the needs of the staff and the citizens.
Employment is contingent upon satisfactory results of a state and federal criminal history background check and the Department of Social Service’s Child Abuse and Neglect Central Registry, U.S. HHS IG Exclusion List check, employment reference check and E-Verify. Other financial, credit, driving or other background checks prior to employment may be required for certain positions. Completion of Economic Interests will be required upon employment.