Physician – Occupational Health – Austin TX
City of Austin Public Safety Wellness Center
The City of Austin, Texas, is seeking a second physician to work with our team of health professionals at the Public Safety Wellness Center (PSWC).
- Use your talents to support the wellness of first responders in a beautiful city that focuses on health outcomes.
- The PSWC general hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm, if you’re looking to enhance your work-life balance.
- The pay range is consistent with other municipal government agencies for this job title – the intrinsic value of appreciative patients, interesting co-workers, and investment in community safety deserves additional consideration.
- The City of Austin Employee’s Retirement System (COAERS) is a defined benefit pension with vesting after five years of continuous service. Other benefits include excellent insurance plans, 14 holidays per year, 1 day of vacation leave per month, and 1 day of sick leave per month.
- Performing pre-hire medical assessments of public safety cadet candidates
- Conducting annual medical assessments of firefighters, police officers, and EMS medics that include
- taking medical histories
- performing physical examinations
- interpreting results of laboratory studies
- radiology studies
- treadmill ECGs (stress test)
- hearing and vision testing
- Providing referrals to personal physician or regional medical specialists for care of occupational injuries, cardiac and pulmonary issues, cancer, behavioral and other health issues affecting first responders
- Coordinating a holistic wellness approach with other Public Safety Wellness Center personnel focused on
- injury/medical rehabilitation
- behavioral health
- peer support
- Making treatment and return-to-work recommendations for sick and injured first responders
- Managing vaccinations and infection control for first responders
- License to practice medicine in the State of Texas.
- Must have current healthcare provider Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) course completion card and will be required to maintain a current certification during employment.
- Experience in occupational medicine including wellness and fitness health components related to first responders.
- Board eligible or certified in a relevant specialty such as emergency, family, internal, or occupational medicine.
- Knowledge of risk management and consideration of environmental conditions in treating first responders.
For more detailed information, please contact Brad Poerner, Austin Fire Department Human Resources Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.