Tower Health is an innovative, leading health system dedicated to advancing the health and transforming the lives of the people we serve through compassionate, accessible, high quality, cost-effective healthcare. Together, our hospitals and other entities provide a full range of medical care from prevention, screening, and education; to the latest clinical services and full scope of surgeries; to rehabilitation. We also offer wellness programs and public health services that ensure our communities are the healthiest they can be.
The Department of OB/GYN is a dynamic group of providers including physicians, midwives, nurse practitioners and physician assistants who work together to provide comprehensive obstetric and gynecologic care for all members of our community and include sub-specialties of pelvic floor medicine, gynecologic oncology, maternal fetal medicine, fertility medicine and transgender health. We perform over 3500 deliveries a year and over 2500 gynecologic procedures. We host a fully accredited OB/GYN Residency Program of 5 residents per year and are affiliated with Drexel University College of Medicine as well as the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.
The role of the Faculty Associate is to work with the Program Director (PD), Program Manager (PM) and Department Chair (DC) to provide leadership, teaching, supervision and planning for the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology educational programs and care of patients of our community outreach clinic, the Women's Health Center (WHC) with a focus on supporting the clinical learning environment for students, residents, medical staff to support the department, hospital and community needs.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following :
- Clinical practice under the direction of the PD.
- Develop solo practice sessions as per availability and access of provider.
- Clinical practice time will be spent in direct supervision of advanced practice professionals (APP), residents, and oversight of medical student patient care activities including the following:
- Supervision and educational activities of providers, residents, and medical students in the Women's Health Center
- Supervision and educational activities of residents and medical students in the Beginnings Maternity Center including OB Triage and L&D
- Supervision and educational activities of residents and medical students in the operating rooms at THRHMC and its related sites including emergency room and inpatient units.
- Guide the delivery of services to assure the highest standard of patient care & safety.
- Uphold institutional policies and procedures.
- Promote quality improvement and patient safety activities.
- Provide leadership in learner and individual projects in quality and patient safety.
- Maintain a high degree of interest and enthusiasm for research, presentation, and publishing:
- Work with the PD on programmatic research activities.
- Work with the PD on grant funding for departmental, programmatic, and individual research activities.
- Help provide oversight of resident research activities.
- Under the direction of the PD participate in the following:
- Departmental undergraduate medical education (UME), graduate medical education (GME) and continuing medical education (CME) programs.
- Support interprofessional education, collaboration, and service (IPECS) activities and programs
- Understand the principles of and conduct all activities in accordance with Reading Hospital's Culture of Excellence.
- Function under the direction of and in collaboration with the AC/PD and DC.
- Maintain a familiarity with relevant Accreditation Counsel for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) common program requirements including the 6 core competencies:
- Patient Care
- Medical Knowledge
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills
- Practice based Learning and Improvement
- Systems based Practice
- Maintain a familiarity with relevant OB/GYN residency committee (RC) program requirements
- Participate in all relevant THRHMC GME meetings and activities.
- Maintain a collaborative working relationship with PD and PM.
- Participate in regular and ongoing resident evaluations as directed by PD.
- Participate in cross departmental collaboration and planning.
- Work in harmony with members of the Medical Staff, as well as other Hospital staff.
- Participate on appropriate Medical Staff and Hospital committees as directed by the DC or PD.
- Provide leadership and supervisor responsibilities as directed by the DC or PD (ex. Director of Outpatient services, Student Clerkship Director).
- Assure personal compliance with Medical Staff Bylaws and all appropriate Rules and
- Work with the DC & AC/PD to assure compliance with Medical Staff Bylaws and all appropriate Rules and Regulations within the department by all Residents & medical students.
- Mentor and support the Residents including assisting their transition from Chief Residents to their chosen career path.
- Participate in residency staff development planning.
- Participate in residency staff recruitment and retention activities.
- Assist the PD in cost-effective utilization of resources to help control the residency program budget.
- Educate Residents in the cost-effective utilization of resources.
- Participate in program development, including facility development planning and evaluation of the efficiency of program delivery.
- Opportunities will be encouraged to allow the faculty associate to develop further any subspecialty or other special skills that will enhance his/her career and what they can bring to the residency and Department.
- The faculty associate member will be encouraged to develop and implement an independent research project, with the support of faculty.
- The faculty associate member will develop teaching skills.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive Compensation Plan with a superb benefits package Generous CME Allowance and Time
- Top-Tier retirement programs
- Loan Forgiveness Assistance Program
- Malpractice Insurance with Tail Coverage
- Relocation Assistance
- H1B Visas and Green Card Sponsorship (we cannot currently support J1 Visa Waivers).
Living in Berks County - From Reading Fellows (Video)
Reading Hospital is located in West Reading, part of Berks County, Pennsylvania. This is an area that offers many wonderful places to live and raise a family. Berks County is 1 hour northwest of Philadelphia and within driving distance of other major metropolitan areas like Baltimore and New York City, offering an easy chance to get away for some big city excitement.
Contact Name: Ken Nichols
Contact Email: Kenneth.email@example.com
Contact Phone: 484-332-7500 (Call or Text)
- Pennsylvania License
- ACOG Board Certification or Board eligibility in general Obstetrics and Gynecology
- ACOG and other board specialty organizations membership as eligible and relevant
- Commitment to education.
- Commitment to enhancing patient care and the advancement of medical knowledge through the conduct of clinical research and support of quality and patient safety endeavors.
- Respected as an excellent clinician.
- Ability to facilitate recruitment of resident staff and to enhance the stature of the residency program, as well as to facilitate collaborative activities.
- Collaborative working style, sensitive to the issues of the Resident & Medical Staff.
- Progressive and forward thinking, with ideas to foster growth and quality of the education programs and the clinical learning environment.
- Experience with fiscal issues preferred.
Excellent communication skills.