Director of Research Development & Operations
Medical College of Wisconsin
Department of Emergency Medicine
Director of Research Development & Operations
The Director of Research Development & Operations in the Department of Emergency Medicine will play a critical role in advancing overall departmental research and scholarship. Operating under the advisement of the Vice Chair for Research and Scholarship (VCRS), the Director will grow and support industry-sponsored, community-partnered, and otherwise faculty-led extramurally funded research programs and oversee the research processes and staff infrastructure of the department. The director will aim at instilling a culture of excellence, collaboration, reliability and accuracy in all department research-related processes.
General responsibilities include
- Assist in the oversight of core research staff (program managers, research scientists, research associates, research assistants, and others) and in enhancing the established research infrastructure to support faculty and fellow scholarly projects from project design through data dissemination.
- Monitoring, tracking, and enhancing departmental-related informational flows in order to ensure compliance with research policies, and to support various intramural and extramural reporting needs.
- Identifying, liaising and soliciting fiscal support for research by working with industry representatives, grant agency program officers, and foundation liaisons.
- In collaboration with other faculty and staff, facilitate research skills development and knowledge transfer by designing and participating in research-oriented workshops or ad-hoc seminars directed at faculty, trainees and staff.
- Advancing intra- and inter-departmental, interdisciplinary, and intercollegiate research efforts with the goals of increasing the number of, as well as and the proportion of academic faculty with, extramural funding and scholarly dissemination products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Identity opportunities for research growth through local, regional, national and international partnerships and sponsored programs.
- Provide guidance and support to the Research Program Manager(s) and Research Administrative Assistant to gather data on and monitor departmental research activities and faculty scholarship.
- Identify and solicit appropriate funding agencies and sponsors for scholarly projects and assist faculty in designing proposals for such funding.
- Orient new faculty, fellows and staff to standard operating procedures, research policies and procedures.
- Advise and support faculty on appropriate research design, methodology, collaborations and dissemination as needed.
- In concert with the research operations team and other invited faculty and research leaders, design and execute the Annual Research Forum hosted in collaboration with WACEP and UW-Madison.
- As designated by the VCRS, serve in leadership role(s) on department research committees (QA/QI, Research Oversight, etc.).
- Maintain an extramurally funded research portfolio.
- Participate in research-related teaching and curriculum development for fellows, residents, medical students as needed.
Resources and Reporting
The Director of Research Operations will have appropriate negotiated protected time for administrative duties. In addition, they will be collaboratively lead, and be supported by the research operations team: a research program manager, a research scientist, a research associate, a research administrative assistant, and a grants/contracts specialist. The Director will report directly to the Vice Chair of Research and Scholarship, and work collaboratively with the Director of the Resuscitation Research Center, as well as other research faculty.
MCW is one of the largest healthcare employers in Wisconsin. We are committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming workplace that includes individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that embracing human differences is critical to realize our vision of a healthier world, and we recognize that a healthy and thriving community starts from within. We strive to integrate our human and social differences into MCW s functioning, strategies and culture to create a diverse and equitable workplace. If you believe embracing individuality and working together makes us stronger, then MCW is the place for you. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To learn more or to apply please contact:
Gabrielle Pollard, CMSR, CRPR
Physician Recruiter, Sr.
Apply for Director of Research Development & Operations
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly