Graduate Medical Education Director – SOM: Surgery
UC Davis Medical Center
Graduate Medical Education Director
Salary Range: $2,613.03 - $5,245.21 Biweekly
Final Filing Date: 10/17/2021
The Surgery Medical Education Director (this includes all educational activities including undergraduate rotations) is the principal administrative leader for diverse programs which are at the core of the UC Davis Health mission of graduate medical education teaching, research, and patient care. The Director should have well-developed relationship building skills, analytical and critical thinking skills, and strong written and oral communication skills. The Director should have a demonstrated ability in curriculum development, instructional design, implementation, assessment and evaluation, and a vision for excellence and innovation in medical education and evaluation. The Director is responsible for planning, implementation, and all operational aspects of the Department of Surgery Education Programs. The Director is responsible for budget planning and implementation and provides direct supervision of 5 FTE staff.
• Applicants are encouraged to upload license and certification if required of the position.
• Master’s degree required Higher Education, Higher Education Leadership, Education, Learning, Leadership studies, or related/similar field.
• Recent experience working in higher education with working knowledge of emerging trends in adult or higher education.
• Experience with initiating and developing programs including setting priorities, building staff and budget, and effectively evaluate opportunities.
• Ability to exercise exemplary tact, diplomacy, and political sensitivity when dealing with high level internal and external executives and faculty leadership.
• Motivational and managerial leadership skills to foster and create a dynamic environment.
• Proven ability to transition between project and multitask while managing multiple short term and long-term projects
• Presentation skills and prior experience in creating and presenting complex information to diverse audiences including clinicians, executives, and executive staff.
• Ability to adapt to the management style of the Designated Institution Official, Office of the Dean, and Medical Director while representing the GME Office and educational program philosophy.
• Experience in dealing with new issues, proposals, and programs, and consider many complex variables and interrelationships; ability to develop new programs and approaches; ability to establish priorities.
• Must be able to manage both confidential and routine matters with discretion, must be knowledgeable about institutional goals, principles, and practices of management. • Must be able to learn and function within the dynamics of the organization both operationally and politically and must be resourceful and diplomatic in facilitating completion of projects and goals.
• Experience writing reports, correspondence, and summaries in a comprehensive organized manner demonstrating excellent oral and written communications skills. Possess skills related to data collection, data management, and research techniques.
• Experience managing, directing, motivating, and developing human resources; must possess excellent interpersonal skills fulfilling personnel management responsibilities.
• Ability to be highly organized and to delegate assignments effectively. Knowledge of priority setting strategies must possess confident decision and problem-solving abilities; adeptness at initiating actions for effective conflict resolution and follow through.
• PhD or EdD in Higher Education, Higher Education Leadership, Education, Learning, Leadership studies, or related/similar field.
• Knowledge of financial and accounting concepts; knowledge of University and Health System purchasing policies and procedures; ability to understand mathematical concept, read and interpret statistical data, and understand and prepare budgets.
• Experience or interest in medical education, especially across the continuum of student and physician learning.
• Knowledge and ability to analyze and interpret JCAHO Standards, Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education, institutional requirement and program essentials, Title 22 of the California Code of Regulations, Federal and State OSHA.
Guidelines, Conditions of Participation of the Center for Medicare, and Medicaid Services (CMS), the standards of the National Committee for Quality Assurance, Applicable State Laws and Administrative Codes; knowledge of UCD and UCDH Policies and Procedures; knowledge of UC Personnel Policies and Procedures in terms of the AFSCME contract related 10 supervisions of staff. Ability to interpret standards, assess situations, and determine, coordinate and negotiate appropriate course of action.
• Interest in publishing and presenting scholarly works in medical education.
• Experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating faculty development programs; specifically, with experience in advising and providing perspective to physicians and other health professionals.
• Variable schedule to accommodate workload and projects.
• This position may be subject to a criminal background investigation, drug screen, Live Scan fingerprinting, medical evaluation clearance, and functional capacity assessment.
• The University of California has implemented a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination Policy (ucop.edu) covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, employees must submit proof of vaccination or a university-approved exception or deferral.
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at:
Job ID #22549
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
More searches like this
- Surgery Full Time Academic/Teaching jobs in Sacramento
- Surgery, Thoracic Full Time Academic/Teaching jobs in Sacramento
- Surgery, Trauma Full Time Academic/Teaching jobs in Sacramento
- Surgery, Vascular Full Time Academic/Teaching jobs in Sacramento
- Surgery, Colon/Rectal Full Time Academic/Teaching jobs in Sacramento