Vice Chair of Education (Associate Professor or Professor) - Department of Anesthesiology
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus School of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
Associate Professor or Professor (open rank) & Vice Chair of Education
The Department of Anesthesiology is committed to promoting a balanced academic program of patient care, teaching, and scientific investigation. The Chair of the Department of Anesthesiology will be assisted by appointed Vice Chairs to lead the Department in accomplishing its goals within the University of Colorado, the School of Medicine, and across the affiliate organizations.
In order to accomplish the Department of Anesthesiology’s Education Mission across affiliate institutions and within the various teams/sections/divisions of the Department, the Department of Anesthesiology must have a designated leader of Education working in partnership with faculty across the Department and our affiliated organizations.
In this role as the Vice Chair of Education, the selected individual must maintain a full-time faculty position in the Department of Anesthesiology at the Associate Professor or Professor level. An MD or DO is required. In their faculty position, the individual must continue their clinical duties, which includes supervision of various trainees and learners in a clinical setting. Additionally, the faculty member is expected to maintain his or her academic productivity and scholarship activities.
The responsibilities of the Vice Chair of Education will include:
Oversight of Educational Programs
- Continue to enhance and promote a vision for Education that encompasses undergraduate, graduate and continuing medical education, working with department leaders, program directors, faculty, learners, and administration to develop goals and strategies for success.
- Oversee educational program outcomes within the Department of Anesthesiology and provide regular reports to the Chair.
- Develop and implement new educational initiatives across programs.
- Foster and facilitate educational scholarship across the Department.
- Assess needs, define priorities, and propose educational goals for the Department of Anesthesiology.
- Act as a consultant to educational program directors of clerkships, residencies, and fellowships.
- Oversee evaluations of learners and educators in planning and assessing of ongoing quality improvement.
- Develop and maintain summative evaluation measures (dashboards) for all educational programs in conjunction with the Education Program Manager.
- Assist with Departmental teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Manage and implement educational programs for faculty, residents, and fellows to develop knowledge and skills necessary to be effective teachers.
- Develop a faculty mentoring program within Education.
- Orient faculty on documenting educational productivity for dossier development.
- Develop and maintain faculty education reward systems.
- Identify and mentor faculty and residents interested in educational development.
- Nominate faculty and residents as appropriate for local and national teaching awards.
- Assist faculty with efforts in instructional design and evaluation system development at the clerkship, residency, and CME levels.
- Facilitate the development of faculty teaching and residents as teachers programs.
- Provide feedback (and remediation) on teaching skills to faculty, fellows, and residents.
- Assist in curriculum development and evaluation of conferences, simulation labs, and clinical rotations.
- Mentor faculty, residents, and/or students interested in educational research.
- Assist faculty and residents in identifying appropriate collaborators or programs to further their research interests.
- Create and inspire an educational research group among faculty and residents that promotes scholarly productivity in anesthesia education.
- Communicate and disseminate results of scholarly work in anesthesia education to foster the Department’s reputation in the perioperative setting.
- Coordinate, design, and implement educational research projects related to anesthesia education.
- Advise the Chair on the recruitment, evaluation, promotion, and career development of faculty as educators.
- Provide input on the recruitment and performance assessment of central educational staff to the Education Program Manager and Academic Program Director to include the process of setting expectations for Education Staff on behalf of the Education Faculty.
- Chair the Department Education Committee
- Advise the Department’s Promotions Committee
- Serve as a liaison to SOM Offices of Medical Education and Graduate Medical Education and collaborate with other Vice Chairs of Education.
- Be actively involved in the management and administration of T32 Grant with heavy emphasis on timely candidate selection while working closely with Research and Departmental Leadership.
To review the full job description, please use the following link: https://cu.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=22196&lang=en
- Applicant must have an MD, DO, and/or equivalent degree(s) from an accredited institution
- Applicants must be able to be appointed at the Associate Professor or Full Professor rank
- A record of current education endeavors at an accredited academic institution
- Ability to appointed as a full Professor or five years of demonstrated education experience as an Associate Professor
- Previous leadership experience in academic institutions
- Working knowledge or understanding of a T32 grant
- Experience as an ACGME Program Director
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established at:
Associate Professor (minimum) $290,500
Professor (minimum) $297,500
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
Total compensation goes beyond the number on a paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Apply for Vice Chair of Education (Associate Professor or Professor) - Department of Anesthesiology
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly