Vice Chair of Faculty Development and Retention
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) Department of Anesthesiology is currently seeking a Vice Chair of Faculty Development and Retention to provide mentorship and career guidance to our faculty. Minimum qualifications include ABA certification or eligibility and a Wisconsin Medical License. As a part of our leadership team, you will be responsible for implementing the strategic objectives of Froedtert Hospital (FH) and the Medical College of Wisconsin with respect to education and development. In addition, this leader will collaborate with the Anesthesiology Program Directors to assure residency, fellowship, medical student, and Master of Science Anesthesiology (Anesthesiologist Assistant) student learning objectives and training requirements are incorporated into normal operations.
Roles and Responsibilities:
In partnership with the Department Chair of Anesthesiology, FH Division Directors, the Department Administrator, Program Directors and Executive leadership, the Vice Chair is accountable for:
- Effectively role modeling quality, patient centered comprehensive care, self-directed learning, ethical conduct, and professionalism.
- Demonstrating an understanding and support of the mission, vision and values of MCW and our affiliate partners.
- Encouraging and supporting diversity across the practice and creating an environment of professionalism, collegiality, and respect.
- Increasing national visibility for the practice through enhanced clinical, research, and academic achievements
- Leading workshops and seminars on professional development
- Supporting high-quality education programs across the entire spectrum of learners including medical students, residents and fellows, faculty, community-based providers, and consulting physicians within the peri-operative environment.
- Participating in and representing MCW and FH in regional and national organizations and societies.
Since 1965 when we established ourselves as an independent Department, we have experienced dramatic clinical, scientific, and academic growth; and throughout the years have consistently been recognized by our peers in the Medical College of Wisconsin and its affiliated hospitals for our leadership and innovation. We are constantly growing and adapting to meet the needs of our patients and our communities. Our faculty team currently includes 140 Anesthesiologists, 26 Certified Anesthesiologist Assistants, four mental-health specialists and 12 scientists dedicated exclusively to research.
We support our faculty through competitive compensation and benefits, including health and dental benefits, short and long-term disability and family leave policies, malpractice coverage, vacation, and CME benefits, as well as excellent retirement benefits.
The faculty provides more than 63,000 anesthetics annually in more than 100 anesthetizing locations on any given day, considering all affiliate hospitals, operating rooms, and out-of-the-OR locations. Our team provides exemplary patient care through the consistent delivery of evidence-based, patient-centered medicine; education of both residents and advanced practice professionals; and the pursuit of research interests that will define novel therapies in a dynamic and growing academic environment.
We provide care in several different locations throughout the Milwaukee area, including:
- Froedtert Hospital, a 689-bed Level-1 Trauma Center that features an Integrated Procedural Platform with state-of-the-art equipment and technology across 32 ORs, approximately 16 out-of-OR anesthetizing locations daily, an award-winning Birth Center and a highly rated Cardiovascular intensive care unit located within a bustling regional medical center next to Wisconsin s largest city
- Children s Wisconsin, a 298-bed ACS-verified Level 1 Children s Surgery Center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and one of the nation s leading pediatric hospitals that features a 72-bed PICU, a Pain Management & Headache Center and an ambulatory pediatric surgery center;
- The Milwaukee VA Medical Center, a 196-bed hospital that is also home to a 5,000-square-foot simulation center;
- Froedtert Menomonee Falls Hospital and Froedtert West Bend Hospital, which are both smaller full-service community hospitals that have adjacent ambulatory surgery centers;
- Two additional ambulatory surgery centers in Wauwatosa and Oak Creek; and
- A Comprehensive Pain Practice that provides multidisciplinary pain management at our dedicated Pain Management Center, at the VA Pain Clinic, and for inpatients at our hospitals.
Our education program is highlighted by our highly regarded residency program with positions for 80 physicians-in-training, including interns and residents. We also provide specialty training through ACGME-approved fellowships in Pediatric Anesthesiology, Pain Medicine, Obstetric Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology, and additional fellowships in Regional Anesthesia and Neuroanesthesia. Our dedication to training the next generation of physician-scientists is evidenced through our success in recruiting trainees into our NIH training grants (T32 and T35).
In addition to our resident and fellow training programs, we offer a Master of Science in Anesthesia program one of just 12 in the nation. We launched our program in 2016, recognizing a growing need for skilled anesthetists in Wisconsin and throughout the country.
The program is fully accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.
Research in the Department is internationally recognized for its contributions to calcium channel biophysics, vascular reactivity, myocardial protection and experimental neurosciences, with a focus on traumatic brain injury and the physiology and pharmacology of pain modulation. Our research is supported by funding from the National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, Department of Defense, Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin, the VA, American Heart Association and the Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research, among others.
Medical College of Wisconsin
At the core of everything we do at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is the pursuit of new knowledge and the power of academic medicine. Bringing together the world s top scientists and clinicians, inspired students and invested communities, we are driven to solve the most complex challenges in health and society. MCW is home to a diverse group of thought leaders collaborating to build a healthier world and a continuous cycle of life-changing knowledge.
As a distinguished leader and innovator in the education and development of the next generation of physicians, scientists, pharmacists, and health professionals, MCW is home to more than 1,500 students in the Medical, Graduate, and Pharmacy Schools, and over 900 physicians in residency and fellowship programs. Approximately 1,650 physicians, 750 nurse practitioners, physician assistants and other healthcare practitioners care for approximately 521,000 patients of all ages annually.
The beautiful campus of the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center (MRMC) houses Froedtert Hospital, Children s Hospital and Health System, Curative Care, Blood Research Institute of Versiti Blood Center of Wisconsin, and the Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division. These member entities share a common mission of excellence in patient care, medical education, biomedical research, and community service.
Apply for Vice Chair of Faculty Development and Retention
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly