Physician - Gastroenterologist
Columbia, South Carolina, is a wonderful place to live and work. A small-town atmosphere within a metropolitan city, Columbia is known for its museums, restaurants, and the University of South Carolina. Columbia offers four-season outdoor activity with several championship golf courses in the area and is a short drive from the mountains and the beach. Columbia is located near a 50,000 acre lake with boating and recreational opportunities and is also in close proximity to the premier Atlantic Ocean beaches and mountains.
We are recruiting for an outstanding gastroenterologist to an excellent academic Gastroenterology Section with an affiliation with the University of South Carolina School of Medicine Department of Medicine. Come join a thriving practice of eight gastroenterologists. Duties include inpatient consult services, gastroenterological procedures, and outpatient gastroenterology and hepatology clinic.
The WJB Dorn VA Medical Center is an academic facility, and this position involves substantial formal and informal resident and medical student education in both the inpatient and outpatient arenas. In addition, newly renovated research space is available on the Dorn campus. Faculty rank at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine is commensurate with qualifications.
- Performs endoscopic procedures and cares for patients in the outpatient clinic.
- Procedural dutieswill include performing diagnostic and therapeutic upper and lower endoscopy procedures, PEG placement, esophageal dilation
- Performing examination, endoscopy consultation, and developing treatment and follow-up plans.
- Responsible for completing patient encounters, Inpatient consults, notes, and correctly coding visits in accordance with coding guidelines.
- Clinical duties will include diagnosing, treating and managing patients referred for management of GI disorders including liver disease, Hepatitis C, and liver transplants based on standard and customary methods and techniques in the outpatient setting.
- Serves on call during holidays and weekends.
- Work Schedule:Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm with nights, weekends, and call as needed. Subject to change based on the needs of the facility.
Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive:Not authorized.
EDRP:This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program within VHA. If selected for this position you must meet specific individual eligibility criteria in accordance with VHA policy 1021 and apply for EDRP within four (4) months of appointment. Final award amount (up to $200,000) and eligibility period (one to five years) is determined by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services office. If selected for this position, please contact Sheri Hanna at 803-776-4000 x 6735 for more details.
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- Incumbent will be required to maintain current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Basic Life Support (BLS) certifications.
Conditions of Employment
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:Moderate lifting, 15-44 pounds; straight pulling (4 hours); pushing (4 hours); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; both hands required; walking (2 hours);standing (7 hours); kneeling (1 hour); repeated bending (4 hours); both legs required; near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; far-vision correctable in one eye to 20/50 and to 20/100 in the other; ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted); mental and emotional stability required.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician - Gastroenterologist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly