SUMMARY: Licensed and credentialed physician, practicing in the specialty of Gastroenterology providing direct patient care to clinic and hospital patients. Diagnose and treat patient diseases or disorders of the digestive system and perform gastroenterological screening exams. Examine patients, take medical histories, prescribe medications, counsel patients, order and/or perform diagnostic tests and perform endoscopies and other procedures within the scope of practice for Gastroenterology, as defined by the Hospital’s Medical Staff and physician’s clinical privileges approved by the Board of Directors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following:
Systematically assesses patients’ health status, arrives at appropriate diagnosis(es), and implements care plan for effective clinical outcomes:
- Accepts referrals for Gastroenterology consults from physicians and advanced practice practitioners, and communicates with referral source in a courteous, professional and timely manner
- Orders, performs, interprets and analyzes diagnostic tests as appropriate
- Prescribes medication, therapy and other specialized medical care as appropriate
- Performs appropriate endoscopies and other medical procedures within physician’s scope of the practice as defined by the Hospital’s credentialing and privileging processes
- Considers thorough range of treatment/preventive options and arrives at a recommended course of action that is age appropriate, culturally appropriate, realistic, and attainable
- Appropriately manages patient care and health status following initiation of treatment/preventive plan, and monitors and adjusts as warranted
- Communicates effectively with patients and family so that they understand their diagnosis, treatment plans, and need for follow-up care
- Educates and encourages patients to become active participants in their own healthcare-related behavior and provides patient education materials for use in encouraging wellness
- Documents within the electronic medical record system, according to established guidelines to facilitate ongoing quality of care in a timely manner
- Delegates direct and indirect patient care activities to appropriate personnel
- Responds appropriately to emergent situations
- Takes actions to ensure continuity of care for patients
- Contributes to effective and efficient practice management policies and practices that support patient access and quality of medical care
- Participates in access planning for the clinic, ensuring an appropriate amount of same-day patient access
- Actively participates in clinical quality improvement initiatives
- Meets the agreed number of patient contact hours for the agreed full time equivalent (FTE) status, pursuant to hospital policy
- Collaborates in establishing and achieving personal goals for numbers of visits and relative value units
- Fulfills commitments for emergency department call coverage, pursuant to hospital policy
- Supports appropriate billing for professional services through timely documentation and maintaining adequate knowledge of the Practice’s billing policies and procedures
- Adheres to all relevant policies, procedures, and practice guidelines
- Cooperates with the preparation for regulatory surveys
- Responds to telephone calls in a timely fashion
- Reviews and follows up on complaints and concerns about medical care
- Maintains and improves skill level through participation in continuing medical education
Manages patient care through appropriate use of available resources
- Appropriately prescribes and orders ancillary services
- Utilizes referral network appropriately
- Promotes the appropriate length of stay for inpatients under management
- Manages chronic health/disease conditions
Provides medical leadership for the clinic and hospitals
- Serves as a resource to colleagues and support staff, enhancing quality of care
- Assists as requested in the training, orientation, and evaluation of clinical support staff
- Regularly attends and actively participates in clinic staff meetings or physician/staff meetings
- Participates in planning for the clinic and health system, providing input to the annual operating and capital budgets and the long-range strategic plan
- Participates in appropriate Medical Staff and clinic committee structure
- Participates in community education and other professional activities to promote practice growth and community wellness as requested
Meets additional expectations of all Tahoe Forest Health System employees
- Demonstrates System Values in performance and behavior.
- Complies with System policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Carries out supervisory responsibility in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities may include participation in management’s process for selecting and training clinical employees, as requested; delegation of direct and indirect patient care activities to appropriate personnel; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- D. or D.O degree and successful completion of medical residency in Gastroenterology
- Current license to practice in California and/or Nevada, as appropriate;
- A current Federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration (approved for all drug schedules) and/or unrestricted Nevada State Board of Pharmacy Certificate and DEA to practice in Nevada, as appropriate;
- Board certified or board eligible in Gastroenterology. If not board certified, must become board certified within five (5) years of residency or fellowship training. Must maintain board certification and satisfy specialty / subspecialty recertification requirements, as applicable.
- Membership on the Hospital’s medical staff and appropriate clinical privileges at Hospital in Gastroenterology
- Able to obtain and maintain professional liability insurance
- Eligible for participation in the Medicare and Medi-Cal programs and for credentialing by contracted health plans, as applicable
- Ability to utilize an electronic medical records system to review patient health history and test results, document clinical activities and findings and place orders
- Working knowledge of industry standards for medical coding (ICD-10 and CPT-4) and documentation practices
Apply for Gastroenterologist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly