Division Director of Gastroenterology
Division Director of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Hennepin Healthcare System, Inc. Minneapolis, MN.
Hennepin Healthcare System, Inc. (HHS) in Minneapolis, Minnesota is seeking an innovative and inspirational faculty leader for the position of Director, Division of Gastroenterology. Training and experience in advanced endoscopy is preferred. The divison has a significant clinical presence based at HHS, a 470-bed teaching hospital that serves a diverse patient population in the city of downtown Minneapolis and is the primary teaching hospital for University of Minnesota School of Medicine. The GI fellowship program is based at the University of Minnesota with fellows rotating through 5 sites, HHS being one of them.
The Division Director will oversee 7 physicians and 3 advanced practice providers (APPs). This position requires full time FTE at HHS.
We are deeply committed to teaching and working in an environment characterized by celebrating diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
The Division Director reports to the Chair of the Department of Medicine at HHS.
Qualifications: The candidate must be a board certified Gastroenterologist with demonstrated regional or national leadership experience clinically and accomplishments in teaching and/or clinical research. Prior experience in administration and/or leading clinical or research initiatives is preferred. This is an open rank (Assistant – Full Professor) position but we require at least 6 years of clinical experience if the academic rank is at Assistant Professor level. We seek candidates who bring new perspectives and will broaden/enrich the diversity of our faculty.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate will pursue innovation and excellence in the clinical, teaching, and research programs within the Division of Gastroenterology. Responsibilities will include operational oversight, growth and expansion of clinical services and research, and mentorship of faculty in the division. The incoming Division Director will lead and further develop the clinical operations and scholarship within the division. Specific expectations include:
- Providing a culturally-sensitive patient-centered environment
- Being the lead teacher in patient care and quality improvement
- Cultivating an environment that nurtures and rewards lifelong learning
- Collaborating with colleagues and the healthcare system to attain the best outcomes for patients.
- Overseeing clinical, quality, and financial performance of the Division of Gastroenterology
- Nurturing an environment of interdisciplinary collaboration with clinical and administrative partners in the delivery of care.
The Division Director will:
- Represent the division in coordination with the Department Chair to internal and external stakeholders
- Provide administration and oversight of the division’s financial operations and budgets
- Provide administration and oversight of schedule to ensure adequate provider coverage of the clinics and labs
- Provide leadership and guidance in provider and staff recruitment and support access, equity, and diversity
- Provide education and training to residents, students, APPs, and staff and builds a culture of scholarship in the division
- Have their own robust clinical outpatient, inpatient, and endoscopy practice
- Build GI business lines with other specialties
- Work collaboratively with General Internal Medicine, Hospital Medicine, Surgical specialties, and others to ensure quality and timely care
Successful applicants will:
- Have at least 5-6 years of experience post-training with evidence of progressive management responsibilities and leadership in an academic department; less than 5 years of progressive management will be considered based on applicant’s skillset and accomplishments.
- Have training and experience in advanced endoscopy.
- Have a strong record of collaboration; must possess the ability to engage a broad base of potential stakeholders to work towards a shared vision
- Be eligible for an appropriate academic appointment at the University of Minnesota
- Be able to demonstrate requisite leadership and administrative skills
- Be capable of overseeing undergraduate and graduate medical education in internal medicine
- Be committed to quality and compassionate patient care
- Be able to oversee the growth of quality, patient outcomes, and clinical research
- Be Board certified Gastroenterology with preference given to those with additional training such as advanced endoscopist
We offer the exceptional, experienced leader a unique opportunity to lead one of the largest divisions in the Department of Medicine--the Division of Gastroenterology —at HHS. The successful candidate will work closely with senior leadership to meet departmental and organizational goals. Minority applicants are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of intent and CV to the Search Committee for this position via HHS Human Resources. Please direct questions to the recruiter who will provide answers in consultation with the Department of Medicine Chair Arti Prasad, MD, FACP