CHIEF OF PATHOLOGY
6 days left
- Position Type
- Chair/Chief/Medical Director
CHIEF OF PATHOLOGY
(The James J Peters VA Medical Center - 130 West Kingsbridge Road
Bronx, NY 10468)
The James J Peters Medical Center is seeking a Chief of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service who will be responsible to the Chief of Staff; The incumbent will be qualified by virtue of documented training, expertise, and experience to assume professional, scientific, consultative, organizational, administrative, educational, and clinical research responsibilities for the service, and will be board certified by the American Board of Pathology in anatomic and clinical pathology.
The incumbent will be responsible for directing and coordinating functions of the service based on the mission, special needs, and size of the facility; functions are diverse and encompass patient care, administration, education, and research.
- Incumbent makes judgments about the medical significance of clinical lab data and communicates effectively in interpreting and correlating lab data to providers; provides consultation to clinicians when appropriate.
- Responsible for P&LMS representation on committees such as Tumor Conference, Transfusion Review, Inpatient Care Board, Ancillary Testing, etc.
- Diagnosis of surgical and cytologic specimens; interact to provide expert consultative services to providers on follow-up case material.
- Perform and provide diagnosis on specimens obtained by fine-needle aspiration.
- Perform gross and microscopic examination of tissue and cytologic material and provide reports in a timely manner; perform post-mortem examinations and ensures subsequent provisional and final reports are completed within 60 days of initial exam.
- Ensure a quality improvement program is well defined, effectively implemented, and monitored to provide continuous improvements and cost-effective operations in the service.
- Develop and effective plan to monitor all work performed in the laboratory to determine reliability of data and efficiency in delivery of results to providers.
- Ensure the selection of all outside referral labs is made to provide quality of testing and cost efficiencies.
- Ensure the maintenance of comprehensive quality control, proficiency testing, and peer review programs to meet accrediting agency requirement.
- Provide cost-effective and efficient administration of the P&LMS, including budget planning and responsible fiscal management.
- Ensure sufficient numbers and types of qualified personnel are available to perform service work. Ensure compliance with accrediting agency requirements is met.
- Ensure test requests are made by authorized providers; ensure requests provide all necessary patient and specimen information; ensure proper instructions are issued for specimen collection, handling, and processing.
- Ensure all tests are performed appropriately and in a timely manner; ensure results are readily available to the providers.
- Ensure work environment is safe, employees understand and follow all stated safety policies and procedures; ensure service is in compliance with applicable safety regulations.
- Provide educational direction for laboratory staff via in-service, continuing education, professional meetings, etc.
- Foster and support clinical research; plan and direct research and development when appropriate.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday: 8am- 4:30pm
Pay Range: $260,000 – $280,000. Education and length of practice are considered through a formal pay-setting process to determine the final compensable salary (Base Pay + Market Pay)
Pay: Competitive salary, annual performance bonus, regular salary increases
Paid Time Off: 49-54 days of annual paid time offer per year (26 days of annual leave, 13 days of sick leave, 10 paid Federal holidays per year and possible 5 day paid absence for CME)
Retirement: Traditional federal pension (5 years vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA
Insurance: Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement)
Licensure: 1 full and unrestricted license from any US State or territory
CME: Possible $1,000 per year reimbursement
Malpractice: Free liability protection with tail coverage provided
Contract: No Physician Employment Contract and no significant restriction on moonlighting
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Residency Training: Physicians must have completed residency training, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. (NOTE: VA physicians involved in academic training programs may be required to be board certified for faculty status.) Approved residencies are: (1) Those approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), b) OR
[(2) Those approved by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA),OR
(3) Other residencies (non-US residency training programs followed by a minimum of five years of verified practice in the United States), which the local Medical Staff Executive Committee deems to have provided the applicant with appropriate professional training and believes has exposed the physician to an appropriate range of patient care experiences.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Board Certification in: Anatomic Pathology, Clinical Pathology, or Hematopathology
- American Heart Association BLS Certification
If interested, please email your CV to: Sarah.Harrington3@va.gov
Apply for CHIEF OF PATHOLOGY
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly