Physician (Orthopedic Surgery)
Specific tasks depend on the specialty; however, the following responsibilities are likely to be carried out, regardless of the doctor's specialty, on a daily or weekly basis:
Examining and talking to patients to diagnose their medical conditions; carrying out specific procedures as appropriately credentialed; making notes, both as a legal record of treatment and for the benefit of other health care professionals;
working with other doctors as part of a team, either in the same department, or within other specialties; liaising with other medical and non-medical staff in the hospital to ensure quality treatment; promoting health education; undertaking managerial responsibilities such as planning the workload and staffing of the department, especially at more senior levels;
Work Schedule:Monday thru Friday; 06:30am to 5:00pm with on call schedule.
Financial Disclosure Report:Not requiredTravel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical OfficerSimilar jobs Orthopedic SurgeonsPhysicians And SurgeonsSurgeonsSurgeons, Orthopedic
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:This is a direct patient care position and may require long hours of standing, walking, stooping, bending, lifting and positioning patients for examinations. There may also be extended periods of time sitting at a computer entering patient data.Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician (Orthopedic Surgery)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly