Supervisory Physician (Pathology)
This position is located at Walter Reed National Military Center, Bethesda, MD.
This is an employed civilian Physician Pathology position that affords job security, a competitive base salary, bonuses, moving expenses, full malpractice coverage, 2 weeks paid vacation, 10 days paid Federal Holidays, a sick leave benefit and a first-class health and retirement benefit package. We are seeking ordinary people with extraordinary hearts to care for our men and women in uniform, their families and veterans.
As Army, Navy, Air Force and Uniformed Services University healthcare systems join together we continue to combine and respect our diversities and unique individual histories while reaping the benefits of a strong, united and energetic entity. Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda is today a single entity committed to a mission that we are honor-bound to pursue; that of providing world class healthcare to our nation's fighting forces, retirees, and their family members.
About Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
- We are the world's largest joint military medical center.
- We have more than 2.4 million square feet of clinical space.
- We provide care and services to more than 1 million beneficiaries every year.
- We are the flagship of military medicine, also known as the President's Hospital and the Nation's Medical Center.
- 243 Acres
- 244 Total Beds
- 12,289 admissions less births (2018)
- 1,296 Total Births (2018)
- 160 Average Daily Census (2018)
- 4.35 Days Average Length of Stay (2018)
- 27,862 Total Emergency Department Visits (2018)
- 7,100 Total Staff Members (Approximately)
LEED Gold Certification Details
We received Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification for our America Zone and Arrowhead Zone Buildings, the second highest rating possible. The LEED building rating system promotes design and construction processes that improve the health and well-being of building occupants, as well as reducing negative environmental impacts of new construction. The America Zone and Arrowhead Zone Buildings incorporate the following:
- The site storm water system is 25 percent better in preventing flooding downstream than required by code, lessening the medical center's effects on local water pollution issues.
- Covered parking and new landscaping camouflage cars and reduce the amount of hot pavement, which can upset the daily rhythm of natural habitats and systems.
- Light pollution controls prevent the interior and exterior lighting from illuminating the night sky and unnecessarily spilling light onto adjacent plazas and buildings.
- The heating, ventilation and cooling systems incorporate: efficient lighting systems; a heat recovery wheel that transfers energy between exhaust and incoming outside air, and allows occupants to enjoy 100 percent fresh air creating a more healthful environment with fewer infection control issues; high efficiency water cooled centrifugal chillers that save 21 percent on energy needs to heat and cool the buildings.
- All interior materials were selected based on analyses of toxicity, performance and environmentally friendly attributes.
Smart Suite Technology
Our Smart Suites enhance communication and the quality of patient care by providing information to our clinicians, patients and their families in a real time environment that augments patient recovery. Digital signage outside the Smart Suites:
- Better protect patient privacy
- Helps track staff and equipment in real-time
- Shows others outside the room know who is inside with the patient
- Can display "do not disturb" notes, as well as information about the patient, including blood pressure, allergies, and whether they have a visual impairment or fall risk
As a Suoervisory Physician (Pathology) you will:
Serves as Senior Staff Pathologist and expert consultant to the federal government in the diagnosis of disease in this specialized field of pathology. The duties involve research, teaching and subspecialty administrative and clinically related problems.
Provides consultations to other pathologists and diagnoses consultations. Extracts or works with patients' body fluids or tissue; prepares patient specimens for examination, performs specialized or non-routine tests on body fluids or tissue samples, or confirms patient test results. Able to provide accurate information about the pathogenesis, histogenesis, biology and differential diagnosis. Able to deliver expert lectures to medical students, residents, fellows, and practitioners about pathology; and speak at scientific meetings of national and international scope. Initiate and pursue research ideas and projects to a meaningful conclusion and publish the final results.
Responsible for directing and coordinating activities for physician personnel. Has senior pathologist responsibility for consultation, education, and research in
support of the organizational goals in the study of pathology. Prepares scientific papers and reports for publication of research findings. Directs subspecialty research programs. Serves as advisor to the staff. Furnishes advice and assistance to members of the subspecialty on professional matters and makes suggestions concerning the scope of contemplated research studies, approaches to follow, and suitability of available material. Oversees and teaches other health care providers (physicians, residents and medical students). Serves as a member of an interdisciplinary health care team comprised of other physicians and ancillary staff. Provides review for quality assurance purposes.
Set goals and administratively and technically direct the work of subordinates. Plan, assign, review and accept, amend or reject work done by subordinates.
Assign performance ratings and take performance-based corrective actions. Make work assignments, set or negotiate deadlines and completion dates. Counsel employees on behavior and initiate disciplinary actions if required.
US Citizenship required
Board Certified in Pathology
Must possess a current, active, full and unrestricted license or registration as a Physician from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
Clinical Pathology and Anatomic Pathology certification required.