Occupational Health Services Officer (Medical Director)
THE CITY OF LONG BEACH - OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH SERVICES OFFICER
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH CLINIC
The City of Long Beach’s Occupational Health Services Clinic prides itself on providing compassionate and efficient care to our employees and expedient clearance results to applicants. We provide an array of medical services including post-offer employment physicals, x-rays, Department of Transportation (DOT) medical examinations, HAZMAT physicals, medical examinations for Police and Fire recruits, which are in line with POST and NFPA guidelines, annual and biennial surveillance programs, and so much more. Our clinic is staffed with a Physician Assistant, X-Ray Technician, three Medical Assistants, one front-office and one back-office support staff member, and an Office Administrator.
The City of Long Beach is seeking a dynamic physician leader to be the Occupational Health Services Officer (Medical Director) to lead, guide, and supervise the clinical programs and staff for the Occupational Health Clinic. The Occupational Health Services Officer will provide on-site immediate medical care, treatment of occupational medicine injuries and illnesses, injury and illness prevention, fitness for duty evaluations, performing OSHA required exams in addition to other regulated exams and tests. Reporting to the City’s Occupational Health/Human Resources Officer, the incumbent will oversee clinical practice, compliance with regulatory requirements and systems improvement activities, as well as patient care and consulting services along with administrating the day to-day operations and working as part of the leadership team. In this role, the incumbent will assist in the development, implementation, and monitoring of policies, procedures, and practices that affect the health of City of Long Beach employees.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate provides medical care and experience that exceeds expectations and works effectively in a collaborative team environment; is a natural leader with proven experience directing and collaborating with multi disciplinary teams and medical providers by fostering an environment of inclusion. We are looking for the candidate with:
• General knowledge about occupational and environmental medicine.
• Understanding of clinical policies and various procedures.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced setting and effectively manage a full patient caseload.
• Ability to supervise, direct and evaluate the work of physicians and other medical staff; experience in clinical supervision and program management.
• Exceptional organizational and leadership skills and aptitude in resolving issues and conflicts.
• Solid understanding of budgeting, resourcing, and performance evaluation procedures.
• Effective diagnostic and decision-making skills in area of specialty/expertise.
• Ability to diagnose patient conditions and make associated treatment recommendations and/or specialty referral.
• Working knowledge of California workers’ compensation system, OSHA and California Health and Safety Codes/laws.
• Ability to establish and maintain compliance with State and Federal regulatory requirements.
• Ability to effectively utilize computer systems to communicate, record and track case management/patient care data.
• Ability to work in a diverse and labor/management partnership environment.
• Provides administrative leadership for the programs and services offered by the Occupational Health Clinic.
• Develops or assists in the development and updating of occupational health policies and procedures consistent with applicable legal mandates, established medical standards, best community medical practices and guidelines, as well as organizational missions and goals.
• In consultation with the OH/HRO, plans and directs the medical programs/activities of the Occupational Health Clinic, improvements, or revision of medical examination protocols, questionnaires, and examination review and procedures, and directly participates as a clinic physician in these duties.
• Conducts pre-employment physical examinations of potential employees in accordance with state and/or federal mandated, and City required exams (Department of Transportation, Hazardous Materials, Pulmonary Functions, Hearing Conservation, etc.)
• Orders and interprets diagnostic tests, assesses medical conditions, provides medical care and treatment and related duties as required by standard protocols.
• Performs the more difficult evaluations and reviews the work and recommendations of the clinical staff, contracted clinic medical staff and related work performed for the organization in accordance with best medical practice and applicable laws.
• Confers with medical staff, medical consultants, primary care providers, and others to determine the physical limitations and work restrictions of City employees and applicants.
• Provides technical and administrative supervision and support of clinical staff of the OH clinic. Provides physician consultation on workers’ compensation cases and consults with other physicians regarding medical status of employees. Makes recommendations to other City departments regarding OSHA medical guidelines.
• Assists in other administrative activities such as data management and analysis, and issuance of Requests for Proposals.
• Performs the duties of a Physician as needed.
Qualifications and Experience:
To qualify for this outstanding opportunity, one of the following is required:
Completion of a recognized Occupational Medicine Residency
Completion of a recognized Internal Medicine or Family Practice Residency and one year of acute care medicine within the chosen specialty,
Possession of a valid physician and/or surgeon’s license issued by the Medical Board of California
Valid DEA Narcotics License
CURRENT Curriculum Vitae
• State Board Certification as a specialist in Occupational Medicine.
• Medical Review Officer (MRO) Certification.
• Two or more years of experience treating patients with occupational injuries or a master’s degree in Public Health or other Preventive Medicine field.
• Enrollment in an Occupational Medicine mini-residency is also desirable.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is between $185,000 to $200,000 annually. Placement in the range will depend on qualifications. The City’s compensation package also encompasses an attractive benefits package. Please visit https://koffassociates.com/opportunities/ to view full details.
The deadline to apply for this position is Friday, May 7, 2021.
Apply for Occupational Health Services Officer (Medical Director)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly