Palliative Medicine and Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) physician
We are seeking a Palliative Medicine and Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) physician who will be an addition to the Palliative Care Team and Skilled Nursing Facility Rounding Team in caring for KP (Kaiser Permanente) GA members with serious illnesses. The primary focus is on inpatient care, providing assessments, treatment, and recommendations. The physician will work closely with the team s nurses, chaplains, social workers, clinical pharmacy specialist, case managers and other team members. Visits with members will primarily occur in Emory Hospitals and one of five core SNFs. Collaborating with the member s other physicians, the physician in this position will treat and/or recommend care for members' medical problems and chronic illnesses with emphasis on patients quality of life and functional ability. This will include counseling on advance directives, physical and psychosocial concerns, end of life care, and other topics as appropriate.
Major Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
Conducts Inpatient Palliative Care Consults and follow-ups in the hospital:
- Assesses, treats, and/or makes care recommendations for members referred to Palliative Care
- Addresses clinical issues and develops medical aspects of care plan (included but not limited to recommendations regarding observations, lab tests, medications, referrals, ordering tests and prescribing medications as appropriate). Working collaboratively with the other members of the Palliative Care Team, as well as the member s PCP and Specialists involved in member s care, to optimize the member s overall health and functional status
Skilled Nursing Facility Rounding:
- Round on Kaiser Permanente (KP) members at assigned contracted skilled nursing facilities (SNF) at least twice weekly to address medical needs and concerns, as well as help with care planning going forward
- Assure that the appropriate level of care is being provided and progress is being made towards goals, in a timely manner
- Discuss goals of care, transition planning, and advanced directives/POLST, as appropriate
- Attend meetings with SNF staff and KP Care Manager to assist with discussions of ongoing care planning, discharge planning and coordination of care for members
- Coordinate appointment for evaluation by KP Specialists as needed for member during their stay at the SNF
- Work with KP Care Manager and transitions team to facilitate timely post-discharge follow-up for members after discharge from SNF
- Work with KP Quality Resource Management Department as needed to accomplish Regional goals
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with other KP providers, on-site KP Care Manager, contracted SNF medical and administrative staff, and transitions team
- Assess alignment of patient care goals with care provided by SNF staff, identify systems barriers, and escalate issues when appropriate
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- MD/DO, post-graduate residency training, and board certification in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine
- American Board of Medical Specialties Certification in Palliative Care Medicine
- 1 year post-residency experience in caring for palliative care patients in an inpatient and/or facility setting
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with patients with potentially life-limiting illness, their family members/caregivers, and other physician and non-physician health professionals
- Ability and willingness to travel to various locations for patient care
Preferred Education and Experience:
- 2+ years post-residency experience in providing palliative care services to patients in the inpatient and/or facility setting
- Experience working as part of an interdisciplinary team
Required Licensure, Certification, Registration or Designation:
- GA state licensure
- DEA registration
The Southeast Permanente Medical Group (TSPMG) is one of Georgia s largest independent, physician-owned, multi-specialty medical groups. More than 500 physicians and 150 associate practitioners work together in a unique integrated care model to provide high-quality care to over 300,000 Kaiser Permanente members. Care is delivered at 26 medical offices featuring state-of-the-art equipment, labs, imaging services, and pharmacies. We also provide surgical services and around the clock care at some of the area s top hospitals.
TSPMG offers a competitive salary, a generous retirement package, paid time off, health, dental, vision, and life insurance, long and short-term disability, relocation allowance, and more. We also offer numerous clinical and non-clinical learning opportunities and physician leadership development.
Atlanta, our home for more than 30 years, is a thriving metropolis that blends southern charm with modern art, music and culture. Learn more about our beautiful southern city at http://www.atlanta.com/.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We maintain a drug and nicotine free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Apply for Palliative Medicine and Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) physician
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly