Duties include but are not limited to:
- Current BLS/ACLS required.
- Interviews, examines, selects diagnostic testing appropriately, and interprets/collates results to coordinate patient
- Ensure the quality of care of Veterans being treated by inpatient medicine team.
- Communicates and documents with clarity to patients and medical personnel to coordinate patient care
- Responsible for ensuring non-physician providers (NP, PA, etc... ) have adequate and timely backup for medical decision making.
- Procedural skills may include arterial puncture, EKG interpretation, Arthrocentesis, Foley catheter insertion,
abdominal paracentesis, venipuncture, nasogastric tube insertion, lumbar puncture, thoracentesis, intra-arterial line & central venous line placement, and endotracheal intubation based on credentialing.
- Consultative and direct input to inpatient care. Collaborate with mid level providers and physician colleagues with clear communication and documentation.
- Ensures timely coordination of transfers, to and from other facilities, as necessary.
- Ensures warm handoff is done appropriately between shifts in accordance with all applicable guidelines.
- Participate in the educational programs for section personnel as well as the medical staff.
- Participate in quality assurance programs and chart reviews. Responsible for all performance metrics that are
affected by inpatient medicine, including but not limited to various metrics such as SAIL, ORYX, LOS, UM
admission and continued stay, etc...
- Attend regular Hospitalist team meetings
- Demonstrate ethical conduct and serve as a positive role model to others at all levels of the organization
- Attend Medicine Service monthly staff meetings and COS quarterly meetings as per bylaws
- Complete medical records in accordance with Bylaws and Rules and Regulations of the Medical Staff
- Participate in Medical Staff committee assignments
- Perform other duties assigned by the Chief of Medicine or designee (i.e., Administrative Officer)
- Participate in, and attend, CME activities and VA continuing educational activities.
- Responsible for building and maintaining effective working relationships with other services and sections such as the emergency department, surgery, psychiatry, etc.
- Responsible for all leave approvals, CME, and other absences in accordance with VA and union guidance.
- Ensure timely completion of all suspense's, Ongoing Practical Performance Evaluations (OPPE), Focused Practical Performance Evaluations (FPPE), Peer Reviews, Congressional, VISN inquiries, and Medical Advisory Opinions, and others as assigned by the Chief/Deputy Chief of Medicine Service
- Will assist in ensuring an appropriate environment for medical education inclusive of all disciplines such as
medical students, medical residents, PA and NP students , etc.
Work Schedule:7on/7off schedule 6-12hr days and one 8-hr days per week
Financial Disclosure Report:Not requiredTravel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Conditions of Employment
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
- 5 years Hospitalist experience
- 5 years Veterans Affairs preferred
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
EDRP Position Information:This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program. To participate in the program, you must meet specific individual eligibility requirements in accordance with VHA Policy 1021 and submit your application within four months of appointment. The final award amount (up to $200,000) and eligibility period (one to five years) is determined by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services office.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician (Hospitalist)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly