Chief, Department of Colon and Rectal Surgery
UPMC Pinnacle is seeking an experienced colon and rectal surgeon for the position of Chief of the Department of Colon and Rectal Surgery.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualities:
- Have a successful background in advancing colon and rectal surgery programs from administrative, education, and patient care perspectives
- Have a track record of working collaboratively with clinical colleagues in both leadership and non-leadership roles across multiple disciplines
- Have a strong background in managing and mentoring
- Hold a medical license in Pennsylvania
- Have a minimum 5-10 years of colon and rectal surgical experience with a track record of increasing administrative responsibility
- Experience in program development preferred
The successful candidate will have overall administrative and clinical responsibility for the Department of Colon and Rectal Surgery within the UPMC Pinnacle System which consists of seven hospitals and multiple off-site practice locations.
The main priorities and specific responsibilities are as follows:
- Recommend, develop, implement and update strategic long and short-range plans to grow and expand the overall volume and service offerings within the Department of Colon and Rectal Surgery. This includes working closely with department administration to develop appropriate business plans and projections related to services within the Department.
- Ensure that the Department is fiscally sound and work to enhance overall revenue of the Department. This will include monitoring financial reports issued by the Department of Surgery in comparison to the budgeted targets set by the Department and/or Institution.
- Assist in the recruitment and retention of surgical staff
- Develop a strong working relationship with all members of the Department; monitor and implement plans that improve physician satisfaction.
- Recommend clinical privileges for physicians with appointments in the Department (processed through established medical staff channels).
- Develop and implement physician communication strategies that inform, link and bond Department physicians among themselves and with other UPMC Pinnacle physicians, including forums that promote information exchange, collective purpose and socialization.
- Delegate authority and responsibility to Department team members; develop improved management techniques and practices.
- Work closely with members of other Departments to develop collaborative initiatives related to colorectal surgery.
- Serve on committees and/or task forces
- Perform advanced-level surgical procedures as they relate to the treatment of patients with colorectal conditions; identify and implement advanced or new surgical therapies related to the field of colorectal surgery.
- Develop a robust clinical practice of one s own by recruiting new and former patients and referrers to the practice.
- Work with marketing and operations teams to foster relationships with internal and external sources to build, maintain and grow your clinical practice. Monitor access to clinical services and work with appropriate leaders to remove barriers and facilitate referrals and patient flow.
- Ensure that the quality and appropriateness of surgical care are monitored and evaluated and that appropriate action based on findings taken when necessary. Ensure that all patients undergoing colorectal surgery at UPMC Pinnacle receive a comparable standard of care regardless of the setting in which the care is delivered.
- Develop quality targets for the Department; monitor the quality and appropriateness of colorectal surgical care when rendered by physicians in the Department or in Department of Surgery training and education programs.
- Recommend and develop policies and procedures that encompass patient care, patient safety, etc. in compliance with accepted standards, regulatory agencies governing health care delivery and the guidelines/rules or accrediting bodies.
- Monitor patient satisfaction reports and results and develop plans by which Department physicians can contribute to improvement of patient satisfaction with clinical services in all of UPMC Pinnacle s health care facilities.
About UPMC Pinnacle
UPMC Pinnacle is a nationally recognized leader in providing high quality, patient-centered health care services in central Pennsylvania and surrounding rural communities. The not-for-profit system cares for more than 1.2 million area residents yearly, providing life-saving emergency care, essential primary care and leading-edge diagnostic services. The UPMC Pinnacle health system includes seven acute care hospitals with 1,161 licensed beds, over 160 outpatient clinics and ancillary facilities, more than 2,900 physicians and allied health professionals, and approximately 11,000 employees. It is a health care hub serving Dauphin, Cumberland, Perry, York, Lancaster, Lebanon, Juniata, Franklin, Adams, and parts of Snyder counties.
About Our Community
South central Pennsylvania offers endless possibilities: city excitement, rural respite, and suburban family life and community can all be found here. Enjoy excellent work-life balance with easy commutes to work. In addition to fabulous dining, we offer an abundance of sports, arts, cultural events, and entertainment. We are close to historically significant areas such as Gettysburg and world-famous HersheyPark and Hershey s Chocolate World.
The area offers top-rated public schools, blue-ribbon private schools, and some of Pennsylvania s top colleges and universities. Area school districts are consistently ranked in the top 20% of Pennsylvania. With affordable homes a composite cost of living index of 99.7, compared to 126.5 in Philadelphia it s a great place to grow a career and family.
Listed among Forbes.com America s Most Livable Cities, and ranked in U.S. News & World Report s Best Cities to Live, we are a two to three hour drive away from New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.
Apply for Chief, Department of Colon and Rectal Surgery
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly